Lemon Pepper Jerky Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
My wife loves Lemon Pepper.  Happy wife, happy life.  I smoked this in my WSM for the first time this past Monday.  It is now my newest favorite tasting jerky.  The vinegar in the Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice really softens the meat.  My WSM was being finicky on Monday so the chamber temp was staying between 170F and 175F.  Although I generally prefer to smoke jerky until it is slightly stiff, the texture and flavor of this was phenomenal at 4.5 hours.  Tender and delicious.  I'm marinating another batch right now that I'll smoke this Monday. 

It looks like beef jerky, dark and dry, so no need to post pics. 

Lemon Pepper Jerky

Ingredients
2 1/2 lb Lean beef  
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4  cup packed dark brown sugar
2 Tbs lemon juice
2 Tbs Lemon pepper
1 Tbs garlic powder
1/2 tsp Prague Powder #1 (curing salt)

Directions

1. Slice beef into 1/4" strips and put in a Ziplock bag.

2. Thoroughly whisk all the marinade ingredients in a measuring cup, the pour into the Ziplock bag.  Remove as much air as possible, seal, then put in another Ziplock bag in case of leaks.  Seal, then massage the marinade into the meat.

3. Store in the refrigerator overnight, up to 5 days, massaging daily.

4. Prep smoker with hickory wood to 145°F.  Put meat in the smoker, close together but not overlapping.  Smoke at 165-175°F until done, about 4.5 to 5 hours.

5. Remove from the smoker, cool, cut into bite sized pieces and store in the refrigerator in a Ziplock bag.

Servings: 18

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/18 of a recipe (2.6 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients. One of the recipe's ingredients was not linked. This ingredient is not included in the recipe nutrition data.

Amount Per Serving
Calories 31.55
Calories From Fat (35%) 11.2
% Daily Value
Total Fat 1.25g 2%
Saturated Fat 0.46g 2%
Cholesterol 8.19mg 3%
Sodium 92.26mg 4%
Potassium 118.97mg 3%
Total Carbohydrates 1.84g <1%
Fiber 0.11g <1%
Sugar 0.81g
Protein 3.15g 6%

Costs
Recipe Cost: $8.32
Recipe Serving Cost: $0.46

I am going to try this recipe next week and hopefully have some good jerky for the eclipse! (planning to have a 5# batch)

I will post a thread and show how it comes out!

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

I am going to try this recipe next week and hopefully have some good jerky for the eclipse! (planning to have a 5# batch)

I will post a thread and show how it comes out!

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)
Funny you mentioned that Aaron.  That's EXACTLY why I'm smoking another batch!

Thanks for the points Aaron!

Last edited:
I never would have thought to use lemon pepper on jerky. I might have to do a little on my next batch. My recipe and method are very similar to yours, very simple, effective and down right delicious.. I know I can smoke up a whole eye of round worth and it will be almost if not completely gone by nightfall.

Thanks for the recipe..

I never would have thought to use lemon pepper on jerky. I might have to do a little on my next batch. My recipe and method are very similar to yours, very simple, effective and down right delicious.. I know I can smoke up a whole eye of round worth and it will be almost if not completely gone by nightfall.

Thanks for the recipe..
thumb1%20copy.gif
  And thanks for the Points!

I just saw this today and can vouch that it makes good stuff! It can be tweaked to individual preferences also
I've been using lemon pepper on jerky for a long, long time and love the flavor it imparts to either the ground beef or muscle jerky. Another thing I have found is use Lime juice instead of lemon for a "brighter" flavor. I have tried Teriyaki sauce, but always revert back to straight soy with no sugar.

Reactions: dan the mano
Ray, have a batch of this marinading... it'll hit the smoker Saturday... My wife loves this kind of seasoning, thanks for sharing your recipe! I'll drop a line when it's done!

I have two batches marinading since Monday. i will smoke and dry tomorrow. a batch for my father and a batch for my brother for helping me move! I used two clearance rump roasts (bottom round). try to get some pics up in a few days.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Hey Aaron, glad to know you're still using the recipe! It's all I use these days. I made jerky out of 5 lb of bottom round roast for family for Christmas, along with 14 lbs of Cabackian bacon and 8x750 ml of Mexican Coffee Kahlua.

My wife loves Lemon Pepper. Happy wife, happy life. I smoked this in my WSM for the first time this past Monday. It is now my newest favorite tasting jerky. The vinegar in the Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice really softens the meat. My WSM was being finicky on Monday so the chamber temp was staying between 170F and 175F. Although I generally prefer to smoke jerky until it is slightly stiff, the texture and flavor of this was phenomenal at 4.5 hours. Tender and delicious. I'm marinating another batch right now that I'll smoke this Monday.

It looks like beef jerky, dark and dry, so no need to post pics.

Lemon Pepper Jerky

Ingredients
2 1/2 lb Lean beef
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 Tbs lemon juice
2 Tbs Lemon pepper
1 Tbs garlic powder
1/2 tsp Prague Powder #1 (curing salt)

Directions

1. Slice beef into 1/4" strips and put in a Ziplock bag.

2. Thoroughly whisk all the marinade ingredients in a measuring cup, the pour into the Ziplock bag. Remove as much air as possible, seal, then put in another Ziplock bag in case of leaks. Seal, then massage the marinade into the meat.

3. Store in the refrigerator overnight, up to 5 days, massaging daily.

4. Prep smoker with hickory wood to 145°F. Put meat in the smoker, close together but not overlapping. Smoke at 165-175°F until done, about 4.5 to 5 hours.

5. Remove from the smoker, cool, cut into bite sized pieces and store in the refrigerator in a Ziplock bag.

Servings: 18

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/18 of a recipe (2.6 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients. One of the recipe's ingredients was not linked. This ingredient is not included in the recipe nutrition data.

Amount Per Serving
Calories 31.55
Calories From Fat (35%) 11.2
% Daily Value
Total Fat 1.25g 2%
Saturated Fat 0.46g 2%
Cholesterol 8.19mg 3%
Sodium 92.26mg 4%
Potassium 118.97mg 3%
Total Carbohydrates 1.84g <1%
Fiber 0.11g <1%
Sugar 0.81g
Protein 3.15g 6%

Costs
Recipe Cost: $8.32
Recipe Serving Cost: $0.46

Was going to try this recipe right now. I'm doing just about 5.3 lbs. Should I try doing this in one bag and just double the cure #1 or do it in 2 batches and 2 bags?

I ended up adding a bit of molasses in because all I had was light brown or regular brown sugar. I also used a couple tablespoons of soy sauce because I didn't have enough Worcestershire sauce.
I added a couple tablespoons of water to each container that I used for whisking , so it would rinse them out and get all the ingredients into the bags. I added a pinch extra of cracked black pepper to each bag also.
Smells pretty potent ..

What I want to know is where are the pics of this supposed lemon-pepper jerky as a finish product? I have a hard time drooling over just text. The recipe sounds like something I should consider, soon.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky