Left over tough beef.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigsteve

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
South West Florida
I did a Q-view over the beef grilling section. I made some boneless beef ribs, and they came out pretty tough. I have a lot left over. No one (myself included) is going to want to have these as-is for left overs. Any ideas on what to do with left over tough beef? I don't have a dog any more.

Can anyone pull a rabbit out of a hat on this one for me?

Can you pull or slice the meat off the bones? If so you could chop it up and use it for pot pies, taco meat, or even simmer it in a gravy and serve it over mashed potatoes.

Put them in a crockpot with some BBQ sauce and water and they will be tender. Hate to say use the crockpot, but that should do the job..

I would dice it up and brase or steam it a few hours to tender it up. Mix with a veggy and sauce blend and put it over rice or noodles. You'll still have that smokey goodness, and it will carry well with the rest of the dish. I do stuff like that alot with chuckies, etc.

For a quick sauce, try beef broth/starch/flour (& oil if fat is needed) for a simple gravy, or a canned soup for a sauce base...easy.

Eric

I would spray them down with some apple juice... wrap them up in foil... set the oven on 200 and let sit in there for a couple of hours. If there is meat there it will tender up if you cook it long enough with some moisture. Give it a shot.

What Dave said.

Lots of good ideas, thanks everyone. I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. I'll just call it a lousey hunk of beef, and get on with things.

This is a recipe I couldn't Qview because the power went out for 12 hours and I had to transfer it to the stove anyway. It's really great. Ofcourse you're going to modify it and I'm not going to tell you how. You know more about this stuff than me. Of course substitute your shoe leather for my frozen-for-a-long-time beef ribs. Adjust proportions/times according to taste/volume of tough meat.

2-3lbs beef back ribs, cut into individual ribs
1 decent sized head of purple cabbage, cored, cut into strips
6 oz white mushrooms
1 medium yellow onion, cut however
1 med potato, cut small (dirt apples are great, but if you use to many you have POTATO soup)
2 med carrots, sliced
4-6 splashes soy sauce
1-2 tbs dried minced garlic
kosher salt to taste
1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
3/4 of said can full of cheap zinfandel (dryish)
15.5 oz water
1 cup cooked rice/barley
CBP until awesome.

Put ribbies in slow cooker (optional, sear the ribs. I didin't feel like it) with broth, wine, garlic, salt and water.
Layer onions, carrots, potato/mushroom and then cabbage.
Turn on slow cooker (High).
Ransack house looking for the USB cable to your phone so you can post Qview.
Find super Nintendo.
Give Up Looking for Cable.
Play Super Nintendo.

Cook for a minimum of four hours, or until you are that hungry/ingredients are done to your liking.

Cook Rice/barley separately until done and add before serving

I'm pretty sure I don't need to post pics of most of the individual ingredients Because you know what they look like (I mean, you POST here). Besides, aside from being well marbled and fairly meaty, the size and cut of the ribs were fairly depressing (only four actual ribs), Hence: Stew meat.

Yep. That would have been posted earlier if it weren't for my lack of ability to photograph it. If you did it right however the broth should be purple with cabbage-ey goodness.

Sitting in a box in the closet but hate blowing into those cartridges for it to play, instead the N64 is out with Mario Kart
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Great Responses, I am sure it will work out. I could eat a good sandwich right now.

Pignit and I had the same idea, tho he was first. After they cook, slice up a couple pounds of potatoes and an onion or two, pull out the cast iron skillet and make up a low-budget feast!

Chop the re-cooked meat into cubes.

Heat skillet and add about 1/4 inch corn oil or peanut oil till hot

Alternately layer 1/4 inch sliced potatoes and onions to the top. (Generously salt and pepper as you layer.) Pile the meat all over this and jam the lid on to settle the food. Turn up the heat until you hear it sizzling, then turn down to med-low.

Tilt the lid slightly to vent steam.

After about 15 min, check for browning with a spatula, be careful for splattering. If nicely & thickly browned, gently turn over by sections as best you can. Recover and cook for another 10 to 15 until they bottom is brown again.

Serve immediately and feast on some good home cookin'!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky