Kabanosy First Run

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nyc oz

Original poster
Dec 4, 2015
Did my first run with my new Hakka stuffer. Been using a jerky Shooter in the past to stuff sticks in collagen.
Machine works great just need the operator to stuff a little firmer.
6 hour Apple wood smoke in the MES30 with Mailbox mod (AMNPS)..

Taste is phenomenal !!!
Kab.jpg

Hi there and welcome!!!
Man that looks very good! What grind plate are you using, I like the look and it looks like you have a bigger meatier texture of meat inside those sticks.

Hi there and welcome!!!
Man that looks very good! What grind plate are you using, I like the look and it looks like you have a bigger meatier texture of meat inside those sticks.
I do a double grind with the course plate on my Kitchen Aid.

Thanks to all. Here is the recipe:

6 pounds pork 80/20 fat ratio

6 tablespoons kosher salt

1 ¼ teaspoons Cure #1

2 teaspoons sugar

4 teaspoons crushed black pepper

2 teaspoon nutmeg

2 teaspoons caraway seed

2 teaspoon Granulated garlic

½ teaspoon celery seed

½ cup ice water depending on consistency

Mix Seasoning with meat before grinding

Reactions: SmokyMose
I’ve been wanting to try Kabanosy for a while now but couldn’t find a recipe.
Thank you!
They look great!
I sent a “Like” your way....

Shot 2 deer yesterday, hoping to run a batch of kabanosy sometime this week. Picked up sheep casings yesterday. Did you use Prague #1 or tenderquick? How is the saltiness?

Cure #1. The salt is dead on .. Been playing with this recipe for a while..

Did mine yesterday. 7:3 venison to pork shoulder ratio. Looks great. Pan fried great (first experience with kabanosy to any extent, very interesting flavor). I used a different recipe than yours, though. Should be in the smoker today.

Reactions: nyc oz
Thanks to all. Here is the recipe:

6 pounds pork 80/20 fat ratio

6 tablespoons kosher salt

1 ¼ teaspoons Cure #1

2 teaspoons sugar

4 teaspoons crushed black pepper

2 teaspoon nutmeg

2 teaspoons caraway seed

2 teaspoon Granulated garlic

½ teaspoon celery seed

½ cup ice water depending on consistency

Mix Seasoning with meat before grinding
Couple of questions.
How do you know your meat is at 80/20? Is it pre ground?
Also, what brand kosher salt did you use?

I know, that’s 3 questions....

Sausage and recipe look really good! Do you think using fresh crushed garlic would hurt or change the overall flavor of the Kabanosy?
mds51

Couple of questions.
How do you know your meat is at 80/20? Is it pre ground?
Also, what brand kosher salt did you use?

I know, that’s 3 questions....
I use pork loin (BJ's CluB) and mix it with pork fat ( trim from my pork belly for bacon). I grind it myself. Morton's Kosher salt.

Sausage and recipe look really good! Do you think using fresh crushed garlic would hurt or change the overall flavor of the Kabanosy?
mds51
Always used granulated garlic as it is easier to mix as it dissolves and covers more surface than little pieces.

I use pork loin (BJ's CluB) and mix it with pork fat ( trim from my pork belly for bacon). I grind it myself. Morton's Kosher salt.

I do 99% of my sausage from wild game meat. I just buy trimmed pork back fat from the butcher. It makes going 80/20 super easy and 80/20 math is very easy as well (4 meat/1 fat = 5 pounds sausage, and 8 meat/2 fat = 10 pounds of sausage, mix and match those numbers for 15, 20, 25, etc. pounds of sausage).

I get consistent and repeatable results that are amazing EVERY time! No guessing, no buying pork butts or briskets and eyeballing, etc. Just consistent heavenly sausage :D

I use pork loin (BJ's CluB) and mix it with pork fat ( trim from my pork belly for bacon). I grind it myself. Morton's Kosher salt.[/QUOTE
Perfect! I can get back fat from a meat shop here and I already have loin. Some recipes call for Diamond Crystal which is why I asked. I use Morton’s for pretty much everything.
Looks like a Kabanosy weekend coming up!
I’ll be using 22mm collagen instead of sheep, though.
Thanks, oz.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky