Just un-boxed new MES 40...it's damaged!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

corndog

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Southwest Georgia, USA
So, last Saturday I made a run to Sam's and purchased a MES 40. Just today have had the time to unpack it. Noticed a few blemishes on the outside, but nothing to get bent about. Then I opened the door. The inside of the door is all bent and rippled. I closed the door and really took a close look at the door seal all the way around the door. The bottom 1/3 rd of the door on the latch side does not seal. The seal doesn't even touch the smoker frame.

This smoker was packed and shipped with this damage or it was returned and re-boxed. There is no damage to the box or the Styrofoam inserts. This REALLY MAKES ME ANGRY,

I don't know whether to return it or contact Masterbuilt. Makes me want to return it and buy something else.

Follow up: I sent Masterbuilt an email, and will probably follow-up with a phone call tomorrow.

Last edited:
Return it and call Masterbuilt. They might send you a new one for free besides the one you return the damaged one for. I usually give companies one chance and after that I'm on to something else. To post a pic, load them onto your pc and then come here and down in you reply area hit the icon that says post image. It's the first one.

Last edited:
I'd take it back...it was either a packing issue or shipping issue.  They're not all like that.  I'd call Masterbuilt too.  They have good support.  I guess they might give you another one but that's not why I would call them.  There may be a problem with the batch they sent out.

Called Masterbuilt this morning and spoke with a customer service rep...young girl...Tiffany, I think.

Was told that they would only replace the door, or I could return it to Sam's. Said it was a direct import to Sam's and they didn't have that model, only parts.

Told them if I had to drive the 70 miles again that I would get a refund and buy another brand.

She said "I'm sorry."

So, my personal experience with Masterbuilt's products and customer service SUCKS!

BEWARE!

Why would I want to replace a door on a new unit? I didn't purchase a reconditioned unit. It may not be just a door issue. It is no fault of mine that the unit is damaged. I did my due diligence and ensured the box wasn't damaged. This is a quality control issue with Masterbuilt.

I would take the replacement door.  Not too difficult to swap out.  There are people on this board that would gladly take that old door off your hands
biggrin.gif

Called Masterbuilt this morning and spoke with a customer service rep...young girl...Tiffany, I think.

Was told that they would only replace the door, or I could return it to Sam's. Said it was a direct import to Sam's and they didn't have that model, only parts.

Told them if I had to drive the 70 miles again that I would get a refund and buy another brand.

She said "I'm sorry."

So, my personal experience with Masterbuilt's products and customer service SUCKS!

BEWARE!
 Sounds like they tried to do their part to mitigate damages to me. And, there are lots of people on here who are happy with their Masterbuilt products and service, including me. So sounds like you have two choices, get the door or take it back. 
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Nothing wrong with replacing the door, if you have to drive that far. Sam's carries the older units so that's why MB only has parts. I'm very happy with mine and if I to do it over again, I'd still purchase the MES...just my $.02 worth.
Not the case..MB sends Sams their own units direct from China...They dont go to MB/Ga and then Sams. 

All the big box stores get their MB stock shipped direct from China.

So..the unit was prolly damaged in China.

I called them several times about parts and they were a little spotty about service.

I also called and asked about stopping by and buying a second unit on my way to Fl once.

They said they dont stock any units at all..just parts and returned damaged stuff.

They did say I was welcome to stop and get a great deal on what ever was there that had been returned or parts.

I bought a 30" Masterbuilt smoker from QVC recently.  I put it together, started seasoning it and when I got ready to add some chips I couldn't open the door.  Pulled on the handle and the handle came off in my hand.  (I'm sure I didn't put the handle mechanism together properly)  The door still would not open.  Finally got it open and inspected the inside.  The metal was all bent, like on yours.  I bent the metal back in place so the door could be opened and closed.  Masterbuilt is still sending me a new door.  They were very nice about it.  The inside of my door looks like someone kicked it.  Masterbuilt told me the inside should not be bent and insisted on sending me a new door.  They asked if I needed anything else sent to me.   

Yesterday I smoked two whole chickens and some mac and cheese.  Everything turned out perfect.  My husband had fussed at me for buying a smoker until he tasted the food.  All the kids loved it as well. 

I had regretted buying the thing after the door problem but after using it, I'm very happy with it.  I hope you get your issue resolved.  It's a pain to buy something new and it be damaged. 

Call Sam's and tell them what you found. Tell them about the distance you had to travel. Ask to speak with the store manager or assistant manager. They should replace it. I, too, would be concerned about a 70 mile trip only to get home and find a defective unit; and I would not want to have to drive to Sam's again. Having said that, it might be that you can go on record with Sam's now with the pictures and they will let you return the unit the next time you visit the store.

In way you count it, that just sucks! Either the offshore packers pulled a dirty or Sam's did. If they do replace it, be sure to inspect the new one before you leave the premises.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky