Its been awhile.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wtipton

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
Salem, Oregon
It's been awhile but we're back. Can I get a like for our newest adventure?

Removed link per admin request. Enjoy the pics

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1657936518754.jpg
    FB_IMG_1657936518754.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 24
  • FB_IMG_1657936494715.jpg
    FB_IMG_1657936494715.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 25
  • FB_IMG_1657936487240.jpg
    FB_IMG_1657936487240.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 23
  • FB_IMG_1657936481115.jpg
    FB_IMG_1657936481115.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 23
  • FB_IMG_1657936474435.jpg
    FB_IMG_1657936474435.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220715_184838.jpg
    20220715_184838.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 21
  • FB_IMG_1657936458620.jpg
    FB_IMG_1657936458620.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 20
  • FB_IMG_1657936462549.jpg
    FB_IMG_1657936462549.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 19
  • FB_IMG_1657936481115.jpg
    FB_IMG_1657936481115.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 18
  • FB_IMG_1657936474435.jpg
    FB_IMG_1657936474435.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220715_184838.jpg
    20220715_184838.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reactions: DougE and negolien
Can I get a like for our newest adventure?
Nope.
Funny, I have to pay here to not see adds. This is because this site is a business that costs money to run. You could pay to use these services like I do or you could become a sponsor to this site (pay) to promote your own venture. I really do wish you the best but I think you are taking advantage of this site to promote your own venture, that’s crass. Just my humble opinion.

Oh I have paid plenty of money to the owner of this site back in the day. But I do get were your coming from.

I do understand that advertisements are a special scenario on most sites, but I do believe there should be a bit of wiggle room allowed for posts that don’t fit 100% into a pre-conceived category, provided additional rules are clarified or expounded upon.

For advertisements that are more explicitly about commodified products and services to be paid a price on the open market, the rules does state that they should optimally be conducted under the “buy/sell/trade” areas of the forum.

I understand that I am not a moderator and I don’t intend to step on anyone’s toes here, but to some extent, everything one posts is an advertisement and marketing of one’s “services”— whether it is more cut and dry (on a site like this) like a process or technique, or a product you like, or an opinion or belief, and I believe we should act more inclusively but also with discrimination so that the site content is given a wide berth with respect to both quantity and quality.

I do understand that advertisements are a special scenario on most sites, but I do believe there should be a bit of wiggle room allowed for posts that don’t fit 100% into a pre-conceived category, provided additional rules are clarified or expounded upon.

For advertisements that are more explicitly about commodified products and services to be paid a price on the open market, the rules does state that they should optimally be conducted under the “buy/sell/trade” areas of the forum.

I understand that I am not a moderator and I don’t intend to step on anyone’s toes here, but to some extent, everything one posts is an advertisement and marketing of one’s “services”— whether it is more cut and dry (on a site like this) like a process or technique, or a product you like, or an opinion or belief, and I believe we should act more inclusively but also with discrimination so that the site content is given a wide berth with respect to both quantity and quality.
Using someone elses web site to promote your own for profit business is just crass, if you don’t pay to advertise on the web site that you promote yourself.

I love that this member is doing something for himself, that’s fantastic, but coming in here for free and promoting his product on Jeff’s back is just wrong. Can’t even extend enough curtesy to pay for a year subscription before promoting yourself? That’s just pure meadow muffins. It’s just wrong, and after reading his post, if I was in the area, I would steer clear, but that’s just me speaking for myself.

I'm out, sorry.
I don't exactly understand what you mean, if you pardon my asking.

As far as I understand it, this thread (when theoretically transmuted to cover into the meta-ethics of the site itself) has seemed to transformed into an ethical discussion of how to deal with posts that are more explicitly about commodified products. One member here has stated the opinion that such posts should not be conducted, whereas I modified and mollified the discussion so that the posts would be allowable under the stipulated rules (which I clarified).

Are you saying that such posts should be given no consideration?

Using someone elses web site to promote your own for profit business is just crass, if you don’t pay to advertise on the web site that you promote yourself.

I love that this member is doing something for himself, that’s fantastic, but coming in here for free and promoting his product on Jeff’s back is just wrong. Can’t even extend enough curtesy to pay for a year subscription before promoting yourself? That’s just pure meadow muffins. It’s just wrong, and after reading his post, if I was in the area, I would steer clear, but that’s just me speaking for myself.
I have been been around this forum since 2012. Have bought all of Jeff's recipes and classes. Just because I havent been on in a few years doesn't mean I haven't contributed time and money to this site. I do hear and respect your opinion though.

My view on this is that he is a catering company. He isn't asking you to visit his business. Yes we want him to just post the pictures here and not direct you off site.

So wtipton wtipton can you post those pictures here and not redirect please.

All I was saying was that I thought it would be slightly more appropriate for the post to be under the category that the rules explicitly state, which I read prior to joining this site.

I don't exactly know where the Buy/Trade/Sell section of this forum is, explicitly. Perhaps the categories aren't expanded enough or more clearly labeled.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I have been been around this forum since 2012. Have bought all of Jeff's recipes and classes. Just because I havent been on in a few years doesn't mean I haven't contributed time and money to this site. I do hear and respect your opinion though.
Thank you wtipton wtipton . Contribution to the site is noted. 2012 and 73 posts, I think you should pay for a sponsorship. You are promoting a (for profit for yourself) business on Jeff’s back. You see this as fine? Pay to play is the world. Don’t get me wrong, Im not against your venture, infact I support it, but in my opinion, you should pay to advertise here. I don’t speak for Jeff Or administration, only for myself as a paying member. Did you clear this advertisement and link to your personal gain with an administrator before posting? I’d bet not.

Yes I agree, post your pics here...I don't have Facebook and never will. But would be happy to see your pics and for you to join us here again.

Ryan

I don't exactly understand what you mean, if you pardon my asking.

As far as I understand it, this thread (when theoretically transmuted to cover into the meta-ethics of the site itself) has seemed to transformed into an ethical discussion of how to deal with posts that are more explicitly about commodified products. One member here has stated the opinion that such posts should not be conducted, whereas I modified and mollified the discussion so that the posts would be allowable under the stipulated rules (which I clarified).

Are you saying that such posts should be given no consideration?
Lemme 'splain: I'm out equals no likes.
OK to post your pictures of your epic successes/epic failures; recommend equipment that you own and use in answer to a posters question as to what they should buy; publish recipes under the recipe section OR include the recipe with a before and after photo of the smoked meal, and the like. But to post a link to promote a business or to gin up visits to a personal youtube channel (or whatever it is called) apparently is wrong and a link was taken down by either the OP or an admin. None of my business (I did enjoy the video). Therefore, I cannot support such although I do admire folks who have the spunk to give it a go and maybe raise their standard of living. Maybe a person wanting to promote a business or enterprise can become a paid sponsor and underwrite a portion of the forum. Or something.

I am a moderator on a smoker forum and admin on another. Not a day/night goes by that I don't have to remove spam or offensive material as well as ban people. And then I have to contend with trolls. Time consuming. Very disturbing what has been happening this year. So I hope that helps you understand.

Last edited:
Lemme 'splain: I'm out equals no likes.
OK to post your pictures of your epic successes/epic failures; recommend equipment that you own and use in answer to a posters question as to what they should buy; publish recipes under the recipe section OR include the recipe with a before and after photo of the smoked meal, and the like. But to post a link to promote a business or to gin up visits to a personal youtube channel (or whatever it is called) apparently is wrong and a link was taken down by either the OP or an admin. None of my business (I did enjoy the video). Therefore, I cannot support such although I do admire folks who have the spunk to give it a go and maybe raise their standard of living. Maybe a person wanting to promote a business or enterprise can become a paid sponsor and underwrite a portion of the forum. Or something.

I am a moderator on a smoker forum and admin on another. Not a day/night goes by that I don't have to remove spam or offensive material as well as ban people. And then I have to contend with trolls. Time consuming. Very disturbing what has been happening this year. So I hope that helps you understand.
IMO, this seems like a terribly black and white way to view the complexity of life and its interactions. Things are never one thing, you know.

Sad to see everyone got so jaded. My fb page is for a hobby and it states that. Its a way to share Q on my home built pit with friends and family. Yes eventually my dream is to turn it into a business but that's a long way off.

Anyway I apologize for triggering people and the link has been removed. I hope everyone enjoys their Q

IMO, this seems like a terribly black and white way to view the complexity of life and its interactions. Things are never one thing, you know.
It's really very simple...the moderators of this site do alot of work and spend alot of time keeping this site working...this is above and beyond the jobs they do to make a living. This site is about sharing your knowledge and helping others learn. As we wish everyone good luck in their ventures this is not the place to advertise and try to create business opportunities for personal gain. Otherwise it's just gonna turn out to be one big advertising site.

Ryan

Reactions: SmokinEdge
It's really very simple...the moderators of this site do alot of work and spend alot of time keeping this site working...this is above and beyond the jobs they do to make a living. This site is about sharing your knowledge and helping others learn. As we wish everyone good luck in their ventures this is not the place to advertise and try to create business opportunities for personal gain. Otherwise it's just gonna turn out to be one big advertising site.

Ryan
Are you accusing me of trying to create a business opportunity?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky