Italian Sausage Screw-up...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
I made it once earlier this year from a recipe I have no idea where it came from, I know there are hundreds of different recipes. We're out so I dug out the recipe I used and it said either water or wine. The first time I used water, but wanted to taste the flavor difference using wine and I'm definitely not a wine drinker. I read that recipe at least a dozen times to make sure I had everything, and I did...or so I thought. The recipe said water or DRY WHITE wine. Reading what I wanted to read and my brain connecting Italian with red wine, I made the recipe with a Cabernet, the cheapest Cabernet they sell at Walmart. I made 2 Kg of sausage and stuffed. Fry test of what was left in the stuffer was amazing to this non-wine drinker. The aroma and taste are fantastic.

So I screwed up the recipe, but I'm happy with what I've tasted except maybe next time I'll reduce the salt. The recipe called for 1.8% which is a little high for us.
20240622_102528[1].jpg

Ideas for improvements are always welcome... SmokinEdge SmokinEdge

I made it once earlier this year from a recipe I have no idea where it came from, I know there are hundreds of different recipes. We're out so I dug out the recipe I used and it said either water or wine. The first time I used water, but wanted to taste the flavor difference using wine and I'm definitely not a wine drinker. I read that recipe at least a dozen times to make sure I had everything, and I did...or so I thought. The recipe said water or DRY WHITE wine. Reading what I wanted to read and my brain connecting Italian with red wine, I made the recipe with a Cabernet, the cheapest Cabernet they sell at Walmart. I made 2 Kg of sausage and stuffed. Fry test of what was left in the stuffer was amazing to this non-wine drinker. The aroma and taste are fantastic.

So I screwed up the recipe, but I'm happy with what I've tasted except maybe next time I'll reduce the salt. The recipe called for 1.8% which is a little high for us.
View attachment 699329

Sweet!
The only time I've tried wine in non-salami, was just recently doing the SmokinEdge SmokinEdge version of santorosano chorizo. Surprisingly nice!

View attachment 699329

I always use a Merlot or Chianti wine for red, and always use a red for red meats. For chicken sausage I’ll switch to a white. Keep it in the middle with a Cabernet or a really good Pinot although I’ve been know to roll with a good Riesling as well. As for salt dial that back on a fresh sausage to 1% to as much as 1.5% those number ranges work well for most fresh sausage. Keep the recipe simple and don’t over think it. Also wine goes in place of water so 60ml (or 60grams) per 1 Kg.

This is just my opinion, but in an Italian sausage, a dry red or a dry white will work. Very slight differences...The white will be more floral and less bitter, while the red will have more depth and usually bolder. I can see why a sweet Italian sausage would call for a dry white wine.

Oh- and poor Italians used what they had....red or white....so you're good!

This is just my opinion, but in an Italian sausage, a dry red or a dry white will work. Very slight differences...The white will be more floral and less bitter, while the red will have more depth and usually bolder. I can see why a sweet Italian sausage would call for a dry white wine.

Oh- and poor Italians used what they had....red or white....so you're good!
Exactly what I was thinking.

recipe said water or DRY WHITE wine. Reading what I wanted to read and my brain connecting Italian with red wine,
Charles , they look great . I use both red and white . Just depends on what's open . The one thing that you should be aware of using red is color . To dark and the color of the sausage can be odd / dark when cooked .
Especially with summer sausage and salami . NFDM and sodium erythorbate can hold and set the color of the wine .
Next batch add some pecorino romano or parm along with the wine .

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
sounds great!! How much?
I make so much of it , I just add it in . Only thing I weigh is the salt .
I'll say around a 1/4 cup for 2 1/2 pounds of grind . I use more , but start small and go from there . If you need a percent or weight , start with 2 or 3 % and work to what you like .
Just looked at Poli's site . He's at 5% , but like I said I start small and adjust to taste .

Here's a thread I did . Uses a mix , but I give the amounts I used for 8 lbs. of grind .

I make so much of it , I just add it in . Only thing I weigh is the salt .
I'll say around a 1/4 cup for 2 1/2 pounds of grind . I use more , but start small and go from there . If you need a percent or weight , start with 2 or 3 % and work to what you like .
Just looked at Poli's site . He's at 5% , but like I said I start small and adjust to taste .

Here's a thread I did . Uses a mix , but I give the amounts I used for 8 lbs. of grind .
My other concern is the salt. Do you reduce the salt to allow for the saltiness of the cheese?

Reactions: chopsaw
My other concern is the salt. Do you reduce the salt to allow for the saltiness of the cheese?
Yes , and awesome . I purposely didn't mention that , because I wanted you to . Best way to teach something is to make people think . I was waiting to see your reply before I mentioned it , so great job of thinking about what you're doing .
However , I don't adjust much . I use 18 grams of salt based on Marianski's 1000 g batch formulas .
I use 2 1/2 pounds of grind which puts me a bit under 1.8 % of salt .
I do that because I'm using butts usually around 8 pounds or less cleaned up . Equals out to about 3 batches , and that gives me equal packs of 4 links each .

Take all the advice , mine included and shape it into something you like . That's what makes you a sausage maker .

Man those look fantastic. I have not done italian yet. Still trying to dial in the Polish. Italian is next though. I used to by some from a local market that they called "Sicilian Style" Italian sausage. It had pieces of red bell pepper, parsley, pecorino and white wine. Very tasty and at some point I plan on attempting to replicate. I don't drink wine but use plenty of wine both red and white in my cooking. If you have a Trader Joes near you they have good, inexpensive bottles suitable for both drinking and cooking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky