Is this drum safe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joepeep77

Original poster
Aug 19, 2016
Bought today for 30 bucks. Formerly held some sort of coconut oil based body product.

Attachments

• IMG_20240204_205410.jpg
    IMG_20240204_205410.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: JLeonard
Is that a coating applied to the inside?
If so what is it made of?
I would be cautious of having a fire and cooking food in a container that had say plastic or teflon coating.
Paint as well although I supposed a large fire to "cure" it might burn off enough to prevent your food from tasting like paint.

Reactions: JLeonard
Is that a coating applied to the inside?
If so what is it made of?
I would be cautious of having a fire and cooking food in a container that had say plastic or teflon coating.
Paint as well although I supposed a large fire to "cure" it might burn off enough to prevent your food from tasting like paint.
It doesn't feel plasticine. Feels smooth, almost just like the metal itself. I'm concerned it's an enamel, which idk if a fire would remove.

Might be out 30 bucks, but luckily that's a pretty small amount to lose.

Might get a fire going in it today. We shall see.

Maybe you should scratch the inside surface and see what you get before the fire. Will certainly tell you if it is coated.
Did this this morning after dropping my kid off. It's definitely got some sort of coating on it.

We'll see what a fire does. Might consider sandblasting too.

IMO if you don't specifically know for sure what the inside was coated with, I wouldn't be using it to prepare food. Depending on it's composition and sorts of harmful byproducts can result with being heated with flame.

Reactions: Nefarious
The whole point of burning out a drum is to take it down to bare steel which isn't going to absorb anything from whatever was on/in it to start with. I won't even venture a guess on how many UDS smokers were made from old oil drums.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Question is if the health of the people eating the food cooked in it worth the money you paid?
If you can have a sample properly tested you can figure out if it is toxic or not.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky