• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

I just backslid into cheap stickburner world!

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Jan 18, 2020
I've been driving a gravity feed Masterbuilt for a few years but had to put it out to pasture this summer as it just wore down to nothing.
That and as much as I liked the flavor profile from buring oak in with the charcoal, it just never did deliver stick burner flavors.
After watching way too many Youtube videos on BBQing I ran across one on the Char-Griller Grand Champ smoker.
The guy doing the video was like I, a former Old Country Pecos driver, and he ticked off all the points where the Char-Griller beat the Old Country.
As I happen to still own a decent pile of seasoned oak sticks, I figured out that a low cost stick eater would be right up my alley, so I ordered one!
Now I can complain about how much time and attention my hobby costs me, again and again...

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
Enjoy . Been thinking about it myself lately . I almost loaded up an old Char Griller pro last weekend .
Get it fired up and let us know how it cooks .

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
I've been driving a gravity feed Masterbuilt for a few years but had to put it out to pasture this summer as it just wore down to nothing.
That and as much as I liked the flavor profile from buring oak in with the charcoal, it just never did deliver stick burner flavors.
After watching way too many Youtube videos on BBQing I ran across one on the Char-Griller Grand Champ smoker.
The guy doing the video was like I, a former Old Country Pecos driver, and he ticked off all the points where the Char-Griller beat the Old Country.
As I happen to still own a decent pile of seasoned oak sticks, I figured out that a low cost stick eater would be right up my alley, so I ordered one!
Now I can complain about how much time and attention my hobby costs me, again and again...
I've had my fully modified OK Joe highland reverse flow on Marketplace for $250 for a few weeks.
I'm really tired of DF questions and idiot offers.

ok joe reverse.jpg

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
As the big box stores are starting to mark stuff down for end of season I start to think about a COS. Doing my best to resist, but......

Jim

Redicans

Smoking Fanatic
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2023
I have had the Grand Champ for a few months now. I really enjoy it and it cooks up some Delicious meals. I did make a few mods to it. I put in two lava lock thermometers and lava lock gasket on both chambers. The gasket it comes with is pretty cheap. Also I extended the stack to a total length of 38 inches. I used a cheap 5" air ducting I got from Lowes. There are vids on YT for some great mods to the Grand Champ. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine!!

Here is a pic of mine with the extended stack. Feel like it works very good.

71840678170__92354ACF-94BE-4012-AB0B-AA9D35C895F0.jpeg

Last edited:

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Jan 18, 2020
Freaking thing was heavy!
I had high hopes but the wall thickness is pretty thin.
Firebox is heavier than the cook chamber.
I'm going in with eyes open, I don't expect it to cook like a $5000 rig.
I think it is way better than the toy ones I see all over internet though.

Redicans

Smoking Fanatic
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2023
Freaking thing was heavy!
I had high hopes but the wall thickness is pretty thin.
Firebox is heavier than the cook chamber.
I'm going in with eyes open, I don't expect it to cook like a $5000 rig.
I think it is way better than the toy ones I see all over internet though.

Yeah fire management is key on the Champ. You can see the size of my splits in the pic. In the beginning I was struggling with it but I have found my groove and very happy with the way it works. I’m in a warm climate and think that helps with my fire management. I would love a $5000 pit but that is not in my Budget😂😂 and this works good for me.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Jan 18, 2020
Yeah fire management is key on the Champ. You can see the size of my splits in the pic. In the beginning I was struggling with it but I have found my groove and very happy with the way it works. I’m in a warm climate and think that helps with my fire management. I would love a $5000 pit but that is not in my Budget😂😂 and this works good for me.
I thought there was a gasket between the burn box and cook chamber, but mine did not come withn one.
Does yours have one or did you use lavalock?

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
I'm curious what the YT fella found with this cooker that was better than the Pecos ? Pecos would be my top choice in a COS.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
I have had the Grand Champ for a few months now. I really enjoy it and it cooks up some Delicious meals. I did make a few mods to it. I put in two lava lock thermometers and lava lock gasket on both chambers. The gasket it comes with is pretty cheap. Also I extended the stack to a total length of 38 inches. I used a cheap 5" air ducting I got from Lowes. There are vids on YT for some great mods to the Grand Champ. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine!!

Here is a pic of mine with the extended stack. Feel like it works very good.

View attachment 678323
I would jump on that

Redicans

Smoking Fanatic
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2023
I thought there was a gasket between the burn box and cook chamber, but mine did not come withn one.
Does yours have one or did you use lavalock?
No I used a food safe silicone sealant between the two chambers. I am not sure it made a huge difference but I had no leaks. I think with out it it would have sealed up anyways. Not sure though.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Jan 18, 2020
Agree, mine does not leak, or if it does it's a tiny leak..
Just launched the first cook an hour ago, I thought I had a handle on the hot/cold zones so I decided to go nuts and do two point end brisket and two plate ribs.
Now I'm timing the need for mini-splits and clean smoke.

Attachments

• IMG_1095.jpg
    IMG_1095.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 24

Redicans

Smoking Fanatic
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2023
Looking good!! Going to be some happy bellies today!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
Clicky