Hydraulic wood Splitter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
I plan on getting a high quality offset smoker soon. I also often use my pit BBQ with real wood to cook up.

The problem with wood splits I can get locally is they are always very large and kind of a waste in my pit. I have also been reading up on smaller back yard offset smokers and best practice is to use smaller splits to keep a constant temperature. Buying chunks work but they are more expensive.

I suck with an axe since I rarely use one and they are a lot of work. I recently saw kindling crackers. They seem nice but I spent a little more and bought a 6.5 ton hydraulic wood splitter with a stand and wheels. After buying a couple other heavy tools without wheels I learned it is best to spend a little more and get them with wheels.

log_splitter_001.jpg

Besides being easy to use it is a lot of fun. I tested it with two large splits breaking it up into about 15 smaller pieces in just a few minutes. It has been in the mid 90's this week so after it cools down a bit I will split the rest of what I have. Here are the two large chunks cut down with two more that are next.

log_splitter_002.jpg

I dont smoke with whole wood splits but it DOES aggravate me when my dad decides to help me split firewood. It's a very personal thing for me! My splitter is 27 ton. It also sets up vertical which is great because sometimes I need to split wood where I cut it because its way too big to lift.

I have one of those; it works well but be careful moving it any distance or over rough terrain - it's extremely top heavy and has such a narrow wheelbase and those things make it easy to do over it you're not paying attention.

I was previously using a kindling cracker but decided it was a good investment after my arthritic hand and thumb (aggravated by carpal tunnel syndrome) ached for over a month after a lengthy session splitting down hickory for a big cook on my big Santa Maria/Argentinian grill.

My only operational complaint about it is it's limited stroke; I have to cut down most of the splits I get from my wood suppliers before they'll fit in the splitter. That's fine for my patio-sized offset, but it's just an added step for my big grill and other uses. I've been considering getting a different one just to get a longer stroke; all of the ones I've looked at sit much lower though, and that's a concern with my bad back - i use a big lawn/garden wagon to move wood to and from the splitter and that minimizes my bending.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky