How much salt required for Cure #1 to function?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rob g

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I'm just about ready to jump into the world of jerky. My new dehydrator should be here any day. I have already gone thru most of the threads in this section to copy out recipes and to learn what pitfalls to watch out for. I thank all those members who have contributed to minimizing my learning curve. Like others I would prefer to minimize my salt intake to better my health and eliminate the lectures from the wife and doctor.

Due to my bacon curing projects I realize the salt acts as an agent to draw the cure into the meat. My bacon projects have been done using MTQ that in itself includes substantial salt thus my reasons for switching to Cure #1. While a lot of recipes include soy sauce, a major source of salt, a number of recipes either have no apparent source of salt or prescribe 1 to 1-1/2 tsp per pound of meat. My first recipe attempts will be those with minimal salt. How much salt do I need to make the cure #1 to function? Is there enough salt within the cure itself to draw the nitrates into the meat, considering jerky tends to be in the 1/4" thickness range?

Yes there is. Cure #1 is 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% plain salt.

So I only need to add the prescribed amount of Cure #1, per weight of the meat, into my spice mixture and I'm good to go? Will 24 hours be sufficient for the cure to act or should I wait a bit longer as there is minimal salt to carry the nitrates?

I use this soy sauce -55% less sodium and I actually prefer the flavor.It seems more flavorful/concentrated than "regular" soy to me.
jp44790.jpg

I use a measured 1/4 tsp per pound of meat of Prague Powder (Cure #1).
Or 1 tsp for 5 pounds.
Many here say to weigh it.
But it neutralizes mostly during processing anyway.
And most things are measured in, so BAM! I just use a leveled 1/4 tsp P/lb.

I use a measured 1/4 tsp per pound of meat of Prague Powder (Cure #1).
Or 1 tsp for 5 pounds.
Many here say to weigh it.
But it neutralizes mostly during processing anyway.
And most things are measured in, so BAM! I just use a leveled 1/4 tsp P/lb.

I currently weigh out my MTQ when I do bacon. I've got a more precise scale on order to weigh out the cure#1. Using the cure scares me a bit so I'd rather be safe than sorry and spend the money on a better scale.

I'm looking at the different soy options I.e. low/reduced salt. Any opinions on the Bragg soy alternative?

Cure is nothing to be scared of unless you put WAY WAY much more than required.

It's pretty simple to use cure #1. You are correct that the most accurate way is to weigh it. No extra salt is needed to make it work. Extra salt would only be for taste in the recipe. Also make sure you keep in mind that the amount of cure #1 is going to be different than the amount of TenderQuick in the same recipe. They are not directly interchangeable.

If you are going to make small batches, I would order a scale that has 1/100th of a gram (0.00grams) resolution. You only need 1.13 grams of cure #1 for a 1 pound of meat. A scale with that level of precision is only about $20-$25 on Amazon and well worth it. Also buy the correct calibration weight for your specific scale (another $5) and check the accuracy before use and just before turning it off. For example my precision scale uses a 100g calibration weight. I turn it on and once it stabilizes, I set the weight on and if the display shows 100g, I'm good to go. I weight my cure, spices, etc... and then I again check the calibration weight and if still shows 100g I know all the weights in between should be spot on accurate.

My larger scale is one of the Ultraship 55 models, but on the low end it has an accuracy of 0.1 ounce for 0 to 2 pounds. So that is a range of +/- 2.8grams. So how do you weigh 1.13 grams of cure with a scale that has a accuracy spread over 5 grams? You can't. That is why a $20 precision scale matters.

ezVg11t.jpg

I have a Triton T3 400 on order. It requires 2x 200g calibration weights to calibrate it per their manual. It has a .01g resolution. I read that in one of the many threads here. I also read online you can check your measuring spoons with an eyedropper and water at 1g per ml. I'll run into enough problems without making more for myself by being sloppy with procedures. That's the benefit to these sites. Everyone posts their problems and successes while the others chip in with solutions. A little reading goes a long way. :)

Sounds like every one got this; I will just relate a story I read...I believe here.

Some one made Bacon, but substituted Pink Salt 1, for Tenderquick. But they used the same amount as if using TenderQuick. Do not under any circumstances do this. It's not interchangable like that. You will at best, wasted a ton of meat. At worst? You'll be in a hospital as you just ingested -alot- of toxins.

I will also share this site;
https://www.jerkyholic.com/beef-jerky-recipes/

It has some fascinating recipes on it I will some day get around to!

Sounds like every one got this; I will just relate a story I read...I believe here.

Some one made Bacon, but substituted Pink Salt 1, for Tenderquick. But they used the same amount as if using TenderQuick. Do not under any circumstances do this. It's not interchangable like that. You will at best, wasted a ton of meat. At worst? You'll be in a hospital as you just ingested -alot- of toxins.

I will also share this site;
https://www.jerkyholic.com/beef-jerky-recipes/

It has some fascinating recipes on it I will some day get around to!

Will is my "Go-To" for Jerky recipes.

Sure. Here just use Control-P, print it out, and enjoy!
Mai-Tai-Beef-Jerky.jpg

(Don't blame me if it gums up your printer...)
Ha! I actually want to try and make jerky and that is on the list..alot of things are on my jerky list but the -cheapest- roast I saw today was -6- dollars a pound. I am better off buying T-bone for 3.50 a pound and..committing that crime.

The cheapest I've seen the last couple weeks is round roast at $3.99/lb. I've found rouladen already cut at $4.99/lb and might get a couple pounds of that to try. Most likely my first jerky will be pork as I can get loins at $1.44/lb. My Kamado Joe doesn't like smoking/cooking full priced meats and I suspect my new dehydrator might be the same.

I like Round roasts, but really like London Broil.
I was doing London Broil for the Daughter in Washington. It slices across the grain beautifully.
Then when done, a pair of kitchen sissors snips it into nice bite sized pieces.
Put it in a brown paper bag.

But I warn you, it tends to evaporate out of the bag. At least up there it did.
Pretty near vanished as fast as I could make it. She likes Terry-yukkie.

She found an ad for LB for .99 a pound. It worked out fine, we brought home 4-5, 2-2 1/4 pounds. I have no idea why they were so cheap. Fred Myers Store.
I got to use her vacuum marinading chambers. That is the way to fly.
And a dehydrator. Bada Boom, Bada Bing.

In jerky salt is there for flavor and to make the meat an inhospitable place for bacteria to live. It also speeds the drying process. If you heat to 160 during the drying process and Refrigerate the jerky you can reduce the salt to any amount you are comfortable with.
The Sodium Nitrite in Cure IS a sodium salt and needs no additional salts to do its job. The only reason Cure contains any salt, NaCl, is to give the cure Bulk so it is more easily weighed or measured by volume. Braggs is fine to use...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky