HELP MES 30 amnps won’t stay lit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smkryng

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 14, 2017
I finally got the AMNPS and did a test run today. Decided I’d cold smoke some cheese while I’m at it but I can’t keep this thing lit. Pulled the chip tray and chip loader, light with a propane torch and let it burn till I’ve got a good solid 2 inches of coals and it still goes out. I’ve even got a computer fan rigged up blowing in the chip door, still no good. Pit boss mesquite pellets, dried in the microwave, 276 feet above sea level.

Make sure the top vent is open. I haven't had problems with it making smoke with just the chip loader completely pulled out and the top vent 1/2 open.

Mailbox mod 2.jpg .... mailbox int..jpg .. mailbox ext..jpg

element and elbow.jpg

Make sure the top vent is open. I haven't had problems with it making smoke with just the chip loader completely pulled out and the top vent 1/2 open.
My vent is wide open at the top and I’m even forcing air I. The chip loader, still won’t stay lit

Been their did dat............. add a mailbox mod drill two 1" holes in door and all your troubles will go away. Trust me on this one........
I was hoping not to have to fool with that. I’ve seen lots of people run this with no mods, may have to do this though. It’d be nice to smoke all night without having to babysit

Well, I had to run to town and pick up my kids from the movies so I stopped by Walmart and discovered they sell the tube there but not the tray. Went ahead and got it. Worth a shot I figured. Brought it home, lit it up and it’s smokin like a freight train. Go figure, now if I could just get the tray to work!

One other factor to consider. Humidity, I had plenty of issues with my pellets adsorbing moisture down here in South Louisiana. After reading insights form this site I discovered that issue was a big concern in my pellets staying lit. So I would suggest storing indoors in a cool dry place and in a sealed container like a Tupperware, or something similar. I use pond fish food containers. They are big a resalable. Consider this as an issue if you storing outdoors in original bag just rolled up, or something similar.

One other factor to consider. Humidity, I had plenty of issues with my pellets adsorbing moisture down here in South Louisiana. After reading insights form this site I discovered that issue was a big concern in my pellets staying lit. So I would suggest storing indoors in a cool dry place and in a sealed container like a Tupperware, or something similar. I use pond fish food containers. They are big a resalable. Consider this as an issue if you storing outdoors in original bag just rolled up, or something similar.
These actually came in a big plastic bag with a zip top and I store them inside. I thought moisture was the issue also but they burn fine in the tube.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky