Help me choose new Smoker/Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mattsmith379

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 30, 2015
Hi all,

I need some help choosing a smoker/grill. I would still consider myself a newbie, but wanted to expand. I currently have a ten year old Blue Ember gas grill (that is close to needing to be replaced) and a weber kettle that I use for grilling and smoking via the snake method. I do not smoke as much as I would like do to weekend commitments with my kids and I am about to buy a fireboard thermometer to help me monitor when I am at their events. I would really like to get something that is solidly built and the ability to do multiple things and I've narrowed down to three choices. Traeger Pro Series 34, Yoder 640, and the biggest Kamado I can find or afford. The one thing I will do on this more than anything are weekend smokes with foods that wouldn't necessarily be your traditional bbq flavors, but with seasonings for other cooks with the smoke flavor. Also could you tell me if you would feel comfortable with any of these on a wood deck.

Thanks for the help.

How many folks will you routinely be feeding off said grill/smoker?

I ask because you talk about the "biggest" komodo you can find. Bigger isn't always better. Firing up a Xl-BGE to feed you and a friend is a tremendous waste of charcoal. I have a large BGE and on many occasion have served 20+ people. I can do 9 relatively large T-bones at one time, 12 to 15 burgers + hotdogs/sausages or an 18lb brisket. Currently I'm using it to cold smoke 10lbs of pork jowls. A couple of racks and a pellet tray and she's all set.

I also cook for me my wife and daughter several nights per week. It ends up being a great all around size.
Most of the time it will be 4, but usually If im smoking or grilling something I have 1 or 2 sides going at the same time . If I’m strictly talking smoking then it can be in the 10 to 20 range.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky