Hello from Lehigh Valley PA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LehighValleySmoke

Original poster
Jun 9, 2024
Whitehall PA
Hey all. My name is Brian, and we're just outside of Allentown PA. I only started using a smoker a few months back, so I'll have lots of questions over the coming summer. Over the last two months, I've smoked ribs, pulled pork, spatchcock chicken, wings and a few other things. My main concerns are maintaining temperature, knowing how much wood to add to the firebox, and clean smoke (no clue on what that is). I've seen videos where someone is using a bunch of splits, and some where they're just using a few chunks. Does that depend on the meat you're making? I guess that's my first question.

Thanks!

Attachments

• chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Ribs.jpg
    Ribs.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 9
  • pulled pork.jpg
    pulled pork.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 10
Hey all. My name is Brian, and we're just outside of Allentown PA. I only started using a smoker a few months back, so I'll have lots of questions over the coming summer. Over the last two months, I've smoked ribs, pulled pork, spatchcock chicken, wings and a few other things. My main concerns are maintaining temperature, knowing how much wood to add to the firebox, and clean smoke (no clue on what that is). I've seen videos where someone is using a bunch of splits, and some where they're just using a few chunks. Does that depend on the meat you're making? I guess that's my first question.

Thanks!
welcome from union county PA!

Thanks!
Hey Brian, welcome! Congrats on getting started with smoking. Clean smoke is about getting a smooth, thin smoke that doesn't overpower your meat. Wood amount depends on meat, wood type, and smoker.

Hey Brian, welcome! Congrats on getting started with smoking. Clean smoke is about getting a smooth, thin smoke that doesn't overpower your meat. Wood amount depends on meat, wood type, and smoker.
I got my first clean smoke last week. I have an Oklahoma Joe's grill/smoker combo. I left the firebox door open for a while and left the chimney wide open. I'd close the door for a bit, then had to open it when the temp went up. It felt great to not have my yard look like a new pope was elected.

Reactions: DieselTech
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky