Happy Accident

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gonavy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 1, 2015
Did some smoked turkey roast the other day and decided maybe do some wings too, had this recipe that involving marinading in teriyaki sauce and dusting with corn starch (three table spoons) and some chicken spice (used a table spoon of McCormick Grill Mates Seasoning, Montreal Chicken) dusted (very lite dusting) all the wings then smoked for 2 hours. Thought it sounded good, but it was simply terrible, the worst chicken I ever ate, mostly due to the skin, gummy not crispy at all which was bad because I made about two pounds of this stuff. After one piece I was about ready o toss all of it. But the next day I got to thinking maybe the corn starch didn't cook quite right...so I threw a few pieces into the deep fryer when I was making some fries, wasn't in there more them 2 or 3 minutes, but it browned up the skin really well....OMG this was the best chicken wings I have ever eaten..deep frying the skin was the secret it was amazing how good these were....Smoking can't do the whole job but from now on this is how I am making wings, it was amazing GOOD these were, you have to try it

Glad they came out great the second time around. What temp did you smoke them at? You need to smoke at a hotter temp than the standard 225-230° for bite through skin.

Congrats on the save - glad the wings turned out well. I do my wings on kettle w/vortex for crispy skin.

Chris

Gotta love it when things don't go as planned and even turn out better.

That happened to me on the 4th of July. Made pepper DR pulled pork. I thought a pepper DR BBQ sauce would go great with it. But I screwed up my measurements and didn't have one ingredient to make the sauce. I tossed out 1/4 of it. Then realized I should give it a taste first. It tasted really good, and knew it would be perfect for a finishing sauce. And it was!! I made my best pulled pork so far.

After that I looked at some finishing sauce recipes I had and noticed it was very similar to Chef Jimmy's finishing sauce but with a little pepper DR soda added. Wrote down how I made it and look forward to making it again.

Couple of you'll mentioned the temp..yep GUILTY...the turkey roast was Jeff's Mothersday recipe calls for for smoker temp of 240 or so, the wings were just an addon, and I do admit the recipe off the internet did call for smoker temp of 300 for an hour, the bump upto 350 for the last half hour..I figured at the lower temp I would just add the extra half hour..looks like deep frying did the trick instead, maybe next time I'll try just the wings in the smoker and ramp up the heat. But the way I accidentally did it is hard to beat ...lol

I cooked these last weekend at 300-325. The soy sauce browned them and began to caramelize and the skin had a noticeable "snap" to it. Definitely the way to go

Attachments

• IMG_4511.JPG
    IMG_4511.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 26
I bet they were good . There's a tavern here that has " dirty wings " , smoked then fried .
I started putting baking powder on the skin and drying in the fridge . Cooked on a hot kettle , indirect , no vortex .
20180720_185822.jpg
Or rubbed with baking powder and smoked on the kettle 350 or so .
20180704_170821.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky