Had a bad Sunday brisket cook. Opinions please.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

William89

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Well after some years of cooking briskets and having fairly good results, I laid an egg last night. After searching around the internet trying to figure out where I went wrong I believe I have gotten myself more lost. Anyways onto the cook

Cooked it same as I always have only difference being Ive always cooked brisket on my offset but I decided to use my UDS although I don't believe that would matter much. 12 pound USDA prime brisket trimmed. Water pan with no water just to catch drippings. Salt and pepper rub cooked between 275-300, but it was running more 300 than 275 yesterday. 4 hours in I wrap tightly in butcher paper. 2 hours later I begin checking for probe tender, point was tender flat was not. Hour later checked flat was better but not ready, the point had a nice jiggle to it. This is brisket is taking longer than normal but briskets are fickle beasts so we will just go till its tender. Checked half hour later and the flat is tender or so I thought. Rested on counter for 1.5 hour still in butcher paper.

The results.
Brisket looked ok, not as much bark as I like to see. As soon as I made the first cut into the flat I knew something was wrong. The bark and meat crumbled apart leading me to believe it was overcooked. A little farther into the flat dry and tough. The point was basically a bunch of mush. Lots of juice, lots of mush. And to boot the brisket tasted basically like a pot roast almost like it had been steamed definitely not that brisket flavor.

Where might have I gone wrong here and why in the world did it taste like pot roast?
At first I thought since the flat fell apart it was overcooked. But then farther in it was dry and tough like it was under cooked. And as for the point just being a bunch of mush... Well i don't know... Now I'm flustered.

A new or different brand of Butcher Paper?Sounds like the Butcher Paper may have been too tight and held in a lot of steam. A UDS would hold more moisture than your Offset too. That would make it mushy and taste like pot roast...JJ

It's the same butcher paper. I didn't spritz the brisket or pour any juices when I wrapped either. Possibly just the moisture from the brisket inside the tightly wrapped paper caused it to steam inside then... Looks like chilli is gonna be on the menu this week.

Chili ain't a bad thing but a shame to make it with $$$$ Prime Brisket. How about the mushy Point into Pulled Beef Sandwich, Loaded Baked Taters, Beef and Cheese stuffed Roasted Pablanos, or even ABT's and the rest...Burnt Ends!?!? More smoke more flavor and more of what Brisket is meant to be...JJ

I vac sealed what was left... So it will definitely get used.... I do love pulled beef Sammies and burnt ends so not all is lost.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I had a similar problem at Christmas. I didn't wrap at all which i do occasionally without issue. Probing and temps were spot on but the flat was dry and tough-ish, also was fairly bland. The point was good thought, cubed it up tossed in some sauce and threw back in the smoker for a couple extra hours while I finished getting dinner ready. Burnt ends came out perfect, but the dog ate well that week and i diced alot of it up for brisket tacos.

I just chalked it up to stuff happens and sometimes you just get bad piece of meat that no matter what you do to it, it doesn't work out. Had it happen with chicken and Turkey before so... stuff happens!

I would rest in a 180* oven or in an insulated ice chest with blankets and towels for 2 hours...
You need the meat to stay above 180* to break down the collagen into gelatin-otherwise the brisket will be tough and dry. If it was still tough, it was not above 180* internal temp. for a long enough time period....

I use a meat thermometer to probe for tenderness. I don't pay to much attention to internal temp, but it was flashing 205° or more while probing for tenderness

I like probe tender in the thickest part of the flat. I also don't wrap butcher paper tight.
Sometimes them briskets will give you a run for your money. :emoji_wink:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky