Grilla Grill Silverbac Alpha Vs. Traeger Ironwood 650

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which would you buy? Silverbac Alpha or Ironwood 650

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

EricOhh

Original poster
Mar 14, 2020
I am looking to buy a new pellet smoker, and I am having trouble deciding between these two:

Grilla Grill Silverbac Alpha Vs. Traeger Ironwood 650

Not sure of:
Which one hold a more accurate temps..
Which one has denser metal...
Which one imparts more smoke....

I do know that the Iron wood is more expensive, but it comes with WiFi, where as the Silverbac does not.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks fellow grilles!

Sorry for not helping your poll, but personally I would take a serious look a Yoder smokers. Much heavier construction, made in the US. I say this but do not own one, it will be my next pellet smoker. I have had a Louisiana pellet grill, and now have a Pit Boss Copperhead 7 series both are "ok" I don't like the temp swings on the pit boss and the Louisiana is another story. I am not familiar with Grilla Grill and have never been a fan of Trager (just my .02)

Rec Tec RT-590 for the win. ZERO comparison in this price range.
I've personally owned Traeger, Savannah stoked a traeger, and have hands on wiggle tested everything big box store.
I was bored with the constant RT pimping too. Now I have one, and damn is it awesome.

Reactions: sandyut and EricOhh
Sorry for not helping your poll, but personally I would take a serious look a Yoder smokers. Much heavier construction, made in the US. I say this but do not own one, it will be my next pellet smoker. I have had a Louisiana pellet grill, and now have a Pit Boss Copperhead 7 series both are "ok" I don't like the temp swings on the pit boss and the Louisiana is another story. I am not familiar with Grilla Grill and have never been a fan of Trager (just my .02)
I appreciate your. 02 cents good sir! I absolutely agree with you about Yoder, but that is a bit out of my price range haha.

Neither, because I would choose a Rec Tec. Below is my RT 590. I wouldn't even consider a Grilla or a Traeger in place of it.
IMG_8715.JPG

IMG_9909 3.JPG

I try and do my best to thoroughly research the outdoor grilling products that I buy. I researched the ones that you refer to. I chose neither for my pellet cooking chores.. Hence my response to your question. "Neither."
IMG_1839.JPG
IMG_1846 2.JPG

When it came time to choose a pellet grill, I chose Rec Tec for dollar value and reputation.

IMG_2894 2.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: EricOhh
I am looking to buy a new pellet smoker, and I am having trouble deciding between these two: Grilla Grill Silverbac Alpha Vs. Traeger Ironwood 650.
Eric, I voted in your poll. :emoji_sunglasses:

I bought my first ever pellet grill in Feb 2019 - a Camp Chef Woodwind SG. It is doing what I wanted it to do. But when I bought it, I didn't have any real knowledge about pellet grills. I started by finding BBQ sites that included pellet grill forums (including this one). I had no idea there are that many choices for pellet grills out there.

Based on the two units you asked about, I assumed you were dealing with a budget and I'll just address those two. Based on 1-years experience on reading pellet grill reviews on 4 different BBQ websites, I think you would be better pleased with the Grilla Grill vs the Treager. If my Camp Chef disappeared tomorrow, I would not hesitate to call Grilla Grill and order one of their products. My needs are simple and I 'Q' maybe twice a month. There's just two of us and we don't host large social gatherings ever. While I believe the Grilla Grill is a better grill than my Camp Chef, it's not so much so that I want to sell mine to get the Grilla Grill.

Those are my thoughts. Good luck.

Reactions: EricOhh
Well Eric good luck with your poll.

However, just an observation. It's been 3 days now, and of the two selections that you mentioned, there is but 1 vote in favor of one of them, and just 1 vote between the two of them. The current score is 1-0.

And that 1 vote came from someone who doesn't own either of the selections in your poll. Zero votes so far from people who actually own one of the two smokers that you list in your opening post. This is a big site. I wonder why no votes from owners of either of the models you list

Not very confidence inspiring from my viewpoint. And IMO, a warning, if not an outright sure sign, that it just may be time to consider other options aside from the two you list.

At any rate, good luck with your purchase, whatever you decide on.

Last edited:
For me, it was between Rec Tec 590 and Grilla Grill Alpha ( very nice IMO) but I choose the 590 based on reputation and warranty. I don't think you could go wrong with that unit either.
I think Disco has the bigger Ironwood , and has had good results.

I bought a Grilla OG when I bought my pellet grill. It has a unique design, great reviews and awesome customer support. Additionally, I liked that the body was a double-wall insulated construction, which I felt to be an important feature since I smoke year-round and it's often below 40 degrees here. The Grilla owners aren't a well represented group on this forum, but there's a very large Grilla group on Facebook and they're very helpful.

I was driven away from the RecTec grills by the aesthetics, rampant fanboyism, and the fact that they actively seek out and remove negative content about their product. Maybe it's a great grill, probably 95% of the owners love them, but that whole thing just rubs me wrong.

You may not have gotten many responses here, but this forum is relatively small and inactive, and thoroughly in the "RecTec or die" camp, as you can obviously tell from the responses you got. I suggest you check out some other groups and forums and get some more thorough and thoughtful answers than "Buy XYZ" with no further explanation. If after you do that you still end up with a RecTec, good for you! I'm sure it will be a great decision and you'll love the grill, but at least you'll have a more substantive reason than "Billy said to buy a RecTec, so I did it."

I bought a Grilla OG when I bought my pellet grill. It has a unique design, great reviews and awesome customer support. Additionally, I liked that the body was a double-wall insulated construction, which I felt to be an important feature since I smoke year-round and it's often below 40 degrees here. The Grilla owners aren't a well represented group on this forum, but there's a very large Grilla group on Facebook and they're very helpful.

I was driven away from the RecTec grills by the aesthetics, rampant fanboyism, and the fact that they actively seek out and remove negative content about their product. Maybe it's a great grill, probably 95% of the owners love them, but that whole thing just rubs me wrong.

You may not have gotten many responses here, but this forum is relatively small and inactive, and thoroughly in the "RecTec or die" camp, as you can obviously tell from the responses you got. I suggest you check out some other groups and forums and get some more thorough and thoughtful answers than "Buy XYZ" with no further explanation. If after you do that you still end up with a RecTec, good for you! I'm sure it will be a great decision and you'll love the grill, but at least you'll have a more substantive reason than "Billy said to buy a RecTec, so I did it."
Amen Sir! I 100% agree with ALL your comments.

I’ve had a traeger and a GMG. I’ve never tried or seen a gorilla grille but have heard good things about them. I personally would never own a traeger again. The GMG Daniel Boone was a much better pellet smoker. I have a Rec Tec 700 now and I don’t think I would ever look at purchasing another brand. I wish I would have bought this grill first off instead of spending money and losing it on the previous 2. Good luck with your purchase.

I don't think he should buy a Rec Tec because Billy told him to either. Especially with no further explanation.

But talk about things that rub some the wrong way, here is one thing that rubbed me the wrong way about Grilla.

I typically don't like what I consider to be gimmicks touted as "advantages". I like to actually see as much practicality and demonstration of said advantages as I can, while adhering to basic rules of logic, common sense, science even.

Heat rises. It's a fact. Yet they tout the thickness of the lower cooking chamber.

I grill and smoke year round, and live in a cold climate state. Pennsylvania.

When my house was built, they insulated my attic. They blew insulation material into the attic of my home. Not onto the floor of my basement.

Why??? Because heat rises.

If double walled lower cooking chamber construction is such the advantage, well then why isn't the lid of the Grilla double insulated too instead of, or in addition to, just the lower cooking chamber? Heat rises.

Why doesn't it come with felt gasket seals on the body and the lid like my Kamado Joe or a Big Green Egg to prevent heat from escaping from around the lid? Heat rises.

The bottom line is heat, and lots of it if it's cold enough outside, is going to escape from it and any other outdoor cooker in severely cold weather. And it's going to do that through it's skin, it's lid, and through any joints, lids, doors or vents. Same as with any other cooker. Same as in your house.

Thermal imaging is going to show heat escaping from any grill in cold weather.

If I want to "insulate" the bottom of my Rec Tec, well then I need do nothing more than let ash from several cooks build up inside of it and settle to the bottom. That should "insulate" the bottom of it quite well. I can get "insulation" at least an inch thick, just doing that.

But that makes as much sense to me as adding another sheet of metal to the bottom of it.

Rec Tecs are PID controlled. To the original poster, you may hear from those who will tell you that a non PID controlled pellet grill, or one which offers you the advantage of going non PID, will give you better smoke flavor due to wide temperature swings that is characteristic of a non PID controlled grill.

However should anyone tell you that, well then very politely ask them to point you to the blind taste test results which support that theory, as the burden of proof is on anyone suggesting such.

I doubt that anyone anywhere can consistently, say for instance on a 10 out of 10 attempts basis, tell you which rack of ribs for example, or which brisket, was cooked on a PID controlled pellet grill vs a non PID controlled pellet grill.

Show me someone with taste buds that accurate. Because you see, I have yet to see anyone make so much as a claim that they can achieve the above, let alone actually demonstrate that they can perform such a feat. And if it can't be done, well then one logical reason why it can't, would be because "there is no difference which can be consistently discerned".

Yet one of the pellet grills out there touted for so long, that wider swinging temperatures in a pellet grill offered better smoke flavor over tighter temperature control, the type of which is characteristic of PID controlled grills.............................and then later themselves came out with, you guessed it a PID capable controller of their own. Well actually a "hybrid". But one wonders.........it's a head scratcher.......if wide temperature swings somehow make food taste better in terms of smoke flavor, as was the position, well then why not stick with that and tout that, instead of putting something into your grills which was indicated in the past to somehow create a compromise in smoke flavor?

I don't like what I perceive to be gimmicks. They rub me the wrong way.

Pellet grills are a personal choice as you can probably see. Fanboism abounds and along with it trolling.

I don't blame Rec Tec nor Yoder for that matter as they do the same in this regard, not one bit for removing content which they believe to be troll bait and troll material attempting to trash their products from their respective sites.

Next, and again this is directed to the original poster, in your decision making efforts, I would suggest that you look at warranty and who stands behind their products and is willing to actually "bet" that you are going to like their product. So much so that you can return it for any reason within 30 days should you not be fully satisfied with it.

Rec Tec has a 6 year warranty on the Rec Tec RT700. It costs $1199.00 same as the Traeger Ironwood 650 retails for, but the Traeger has a 3yr warranty. Rec Tec has a 4 year warranty on the RT590. But Rec Tec goes a step further. They plainly state on their website as you look at their grills under "customer care": "If you are not fully satisfied with your REC TEC grill, just return it within 30 days and we will refund your purchase price. We are confident that you will love your new REC TEC grill".

With a position like that, you really have less to lose. It's also just a part of why Rec Tec owners are so vocal about their satisfaction with Rec Tec's customer service. You don't like the Rec Tec, you simply send it back for your money back within 30 days, no questions asked.

And then there is the WiFi advantage. Again, I direct this to the original poster. The convenience of being able to monitor your cook and your grill's temperature remotely is an advantage which is hard for me to overstate. If I have a brisket on right now, I can adjust the temp of my RT590 right from my bed via my smart phone, as well as tell the temp of that brisket remotely. And the Rec Tec has 2 temp probes as opposed to 1. So if I have a pork butt running along with that brisket, then I can monitor the temp of both pieces of meat, or monitor the temp of the same piece of meat at two different points.

If I have to run to Lowes or Home Depot while the cook is going, then I can monitor the temps again right from my phone while I'm inside the store, and make adjustments remotely if necessary.

If I'm in another part of the house, or even out of the house, I can ignite the grill remotely and preheat it while I'm preparing the food all without going outside until I'm ready to put the food on.

If I've preheated the grill, well then all I need do is glance down at my phone, from anywhere in my house or even outside of my house, to tell if it has preheated to the temperature that I want. But you know all of this if you're looking at the Traeger.

There is the 30lb hopper vs the 20lb hopper, the Ceramic Igniter rod rated for over 100,000 ignition cycles, vs ??? ignitor rod in the competing brands listed in your poll.

But no, I would agree with anyone in here who tells you that you shouldn't buy a Rec Tec because "Billy" said to buy one.

But if you do your homework, for the $100.00 difference in price vs one of the other brands mentioned in your poll, you may find that you are getting a better value in the Rec Tec.

Finally, someone in the thread mentioned that they don't use their grill that much. Only about twice a month.

I'm different. I grill or smoke as many as 6-7 days a week. Using a variety of cookers. This was the last cook I did on my Rec Tec this past Friday, 6 days ago. My Kamado Joe has gotten the last 5 cooks over the last 5 days. My Otto Wilde is up for sous vide steaks tomorrow. I expect good results and won't settle for less. Believe me, if my Rec Tec were not getting the job done, I'd tell you.

IMG_3516 3.jpg

IMG_5364 2.jpg

IMG_0001 3.jpg

IMG_8794 4.jpg

IMG_7674 3.jpg

IMG_8248 3.jpg

IMG_0682 5.jpg

IMG_3542 3.jpg

IMG_6804 4.jpg

IMG_6555 7.jpg

IMG_5962 4.jpg

IMG_9572 3.jpg

IMG_3982 3.jpg

Last edited:
RT-700 +1
The build quality is excellent and everything works as expected. The PID controller is perfect. Using the app to monitor the cook is also great! And I recommend buying a grill cover for winter seasons.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky