Going back to cast iron

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Preble County, OH
I started out with a cast iron skillet. I am preparing fried foods in my skillet with flavors I haven't enjoyed since my grandmother passed away. Two weeks ago I purchased a 9 quart Lodge cast iron dutch oven. Today I cooked a pork loin with sauerkraut in it. Although the loin and sauerkraut is something I have cooked many times over the years in a slow cooker the taste of this cooked in a dutch oven is so much better.

Last week a chuck roast with onions, potatoes, carrots, beef stock, celrery, red wine, and garlic in the dutch oven. Again a meal I prepared many, many times in a slow cooker that tastes so much better cooked in cast iron.

I use mine a lot more since I bought a induction plate instead of using the oven to maintain temps closer to what I want/need. The great thing with cast iron is that it works well with any method of heat if you can control the temps properly, oven heats the whole house up also which aint a bad thing this time of the year lol. no wasted heat with induction imo

Good to hear . I use my 4 Qt. to roast whole chickens . Makes a great bird .
1645362283406.jpeg

I've gotten hooked on CI over the last couple of years, especially since the Mrs. finally gave me permission to use them on the smooth-top range.
The 12" skillet is now my go to. The T-Fal hardly gets used anymore. The stable now also includes a 7", 10", 15", an enameled D.O. (which is going to do a chuck roast this afternoon) and I recently picked up a 10' x 15" baking pan.

I don't want to hi jack the thread. But I am looking for advice on " how to cook with CI". I recently refurbished some pans and seemed to have early success with them. But the last few cooks seem the have everything sticking to the pan. I pre heat them add oil to get everything hot before adding protein. Eggs, meat all seem to stick bad now. The first few cooks everything seemed to slide out.

If you guys/gals think its best to start a new thread I will. All advice is greatly appreciated.

I usually wipe pan clean, scape with plastic scraper or a wet paper towel. Then dry and apply some grape seed oil before storage.

Eggs, meat all seem to stick bad now. The first few cooks everything seemed to slide out.
You're at that point , and it happens . Just keep using them . Fry bacon is a good way to get them in shape . After using I wash out with hot water , and dry . Wipe with veg oil and sit it back on the burner I used . Turned off , but ceramic cook top .
Some times the pan is not causing the issue . Foods should release from the pan when they are ready . Trying to flip to soon my simulate a " sticking condition "
From time to time I will wipe with veg oil and put in a 350 degree oven upside down . Put a sheet pan on the rack underneath . Let it go a couple hours , then turn the oven off and allow it to completely cool . Good to go for storing at this point .
Don't get the coating of oil to thick when cleaning after using .

Thanks chopsaw chopsaw . Its nice out today so I will probably wash, and season on the pellet grill.

When making eggs does everyone go low or high heat?

When making eggs does everyone go low or high heat?
I add butter to the skillet and wait for the bubbles to stop ( boiling the water out ) Then put the eggs in . Perfect every time . Just used it this morning .

We have been using ours regularly the last 3 or 4 years and they are to the point where they are a pleasure to use. And, as stated above, it's hard to beat anything cooked in cast iron.

Reactions: chopsaw
Love my cast! Use it for darn near everything. From pies to hot-dishes to frying. I do like my copper for fried eggs though, just so I can flip without using a spatula.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky