Franklin's BBQ Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
Franklin's BBQ in Texas is pretty popular. I was watching a video last week and he was showing one of his sauces. I took a screen capture of it and tried it out. It is very sweet with a hint of spice. For me this makes more of a great dip to place your cooked meat in than something to slather on what you are cooking. I do like it but it is not usually what I would try. Here it is if you would like to give it a go.

bbq sauce recipe.jpg

What it looks like when done.

franklin_bbq.jpg

Franklin's BBQ in Texas is pretty popular. I was watching a video last week and he was showing one of his sauces. I took a screen capture of it and tried it out. It is very sweet with a hint of spice. For me this makes more of a great dip to place your cooked meat in than something to slather on what you are cooking. I do like it but it is not usually what I would try. Here it is if you would like to give it a go.

View attachment 699560

View attachment 699561

Well, he did name it "Chix Sauce" I just saw that while I was bookmarking the thread. :emoji_joy:

I like a sweet Que sauce at times, but it has to have a little heat.

I'm going to give this a whirl, and add and subtract to fit our preferences.

Thanks, Chris, I appreciate you posting this, I'll let you know if I come up with anything good. Did you find the Tamarino at the Mexican store? LORD KNOWS, we have plenty of them up here in NORCAL= Northern Mexico, as we call it. I absolutely love authentic Mexican food, so I'm in one of the stores a few times a month. I'm a fresh tortilla addict, we have at least six family owned Mexican stores and 2-3 make fresh corn, and flour tortillas all day every day, my favorite is the blue corn tortillas, they are SOOOO sweet.
Not only that, but I know where I'm going for lunch tomorrow.:emoji_laughing:

Thanks again, and I see that you can't sleep either....it's still 82* outside here, north of HELL.:emoji_imp:
Dan.:emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
Well you know we have a huge Mexican influence down here but I ordered the concentrated Tamarind from Amazon to save time.

tamerind.jpg

Since you are a tortilla addict you must try the Sonora style. I buy them weekly from Vallarta grocery store. If you have one up there it is a must have. They make them fresh and I cant have them any other way now. They are soft and buttery.

sonora_tortillas.jpg

I love all kinds of food but Mexican is by far my favorite. I made a burrito for dinner tonight.

Sonroa tortilla, sharp cheddar cheese, BBQ steak, spicy refried beans, mexican rice and home made fire roasted salsa I made on the Pit BBQ yesterday.

EDIT: The beans and Mexican rice were also fresh from Vallerta.

Last edited:

View attachment 699560

View attachment 699561
If you are ever in Texas or you just want to bite the bullet and order a great bbq sauce then Rudy's Sause destroys almost all other sauces and I think it has the flavor profile you speak of.
It's got sweet to it but not super sweet, it has some savory and some spice/kick to it as well. It is pretty evenly matched with all the flavors across the board though some might think it's spice level is a medium-high but I think that's from using really good cracked black pepper and not the actually chili pepper that may be used.

I've had Franklin's sauce and that is the one I eat over the other 2, but I'm not really a fan of any of his. He tries though and takes the effort to be a little different with them.

Here's the Rudy's Sause (like 28-32oz bottle yep) if you ever care to order and try :D
DSC01232_1132x954__14831.1632785969.jpg

Well you know we have a huge Mexican influence down here but I ordered the concentrated Tamarind from Amazon to save time.

View attachment 699562

Since you are a tortilla addict you must try the Sonora style. I buy them weekly from Vallarta grocery store. If you have one up there it is a must have. They make them fresh and I cant have them any other way now. They are soft and buttery.

View attachment 699563

I love all kinds of food but Mexican is by far my favorite. I made a burrito for dinner tonight.

Sonroa tortilla, sharp cheddar cheese, BBQ steak, spicy refried beans, mexican rice and home made fire roasted salsa I made on the Pit BBQ yesterday.

EDIT: The beans and Mexican rice were also fresh from Vallerta.
For sure I am going to look for those tortillas next time I go there.
I don't think we have the same market, I'll ask for them though .

I bet they have the tamarino concentrate though.

Thanks bruth'a.
Dan.

I'm not usually big on premix sauces, but Franklin's Spicy and Franklin's Vinegar sauce (I use it exclusively for pulled pork) are both fantastic, and certainly less of a pain than my homemade sauce.

I like Franklin's in-store sauces, but I like a sauce more on the tangy side, than sweet. The advantage to his sauces is that he doesn't put liquid smoke in them and no high fructose corn syrup. I haven't been to a Rudy's in forever but I remember liking the sauce. I'm a big fan of the Salt-Lick sauce as well. I like Stubb's a lot but it has the liquid smoke. If I go through all the trouble to cook barbecue I want to taste the smoke I put on it, not the smoke from the sauce.

I'm planning on playing with Tamarind Paste going forward. I first saw it on an ingredient list in Kansas City. Seems like I missed the boat on it becoming a popular sauce additive.

There are now officialy 1,000,000 BBQ joints in Austin.
And THAT my friends is why seasoned post oak splits are $400 a cord and up around here now.:emoji_sunglasses:
Buck the trend and ditch the Oak, be cool and join me! :emoji_laughing:
I'm so burnt out on oak for BBQ, it's been the main thing used my whole life. I am lucky though, I burn pellets for smoke and electric for heat so I don't have to fool with finding cords of wood to smoke :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky