First time smoking :)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kejtar

Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
meat that is... in a smoker :D

So I got a wide body Dyna Glo smoker from my wife for Christmas and she graciously enough allowed me to open it up and start using it earlier. I have seasoned it today (2 hours + at 250F) and I think (hope? :) ) that I know how to keep the temp stable after today's experiment.

I put in some slices of white bread to figure out my hot spots and my cold spots, got a remote thermometer and .... I think I'm ready. My plan for Sat is pork Shoulder/Butt, a slab of ribs and couple chicken breasts.

Any thoughts? words of wisdom? warnings?

Congrats on the new toy. You are going to want to hold temps to 225-250. Chicken Breast will take about an hour, Ribs about 6 hours and 2hours/pound on the Butt or 16+ hours for the avg. 8 pounder. Might I suggest, pick one meat say ribs or Chicken, and plan accordingly. A whole variety of things can happen first smoke like wild ranging temps. Best to learn the smoker a few hours at a time and on cheap meat. Kudos for wanting to jump in the deep end with multiple meats but there is a learnng curve with any new equipment and meat...JJ

Great advice from JJ man that could turn out to a real bad deal all at once with a new toy. Hope you enjoy it and have many great meals with it.

Warren

Listen to JJ . That's the answer . Have fun and lets us know what you do .

JJ has got you covered! One meat on your first smoke is good advise. I would say your best option would be the pork shoulder/butt. Butts are very forgiving, i.e. temp swings on your new equipment as you are figuring it out. Concentrate on learning to keep you temps in the 225 to 250 range. Take the Butt up to an internal of 165 and then double wrap with foil and take it on up to 195 to 205 for pulled pork. Lots of info on this site to guide you through the process.

Weedeater

I would stick to Butt and Ribs they can smoke at about the same temp. Look into a 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 method for the ribs. You didn't mention your fuel source but if your smoker is charcoal I would find a small butt and cut it half and place them a part, this will greatly reduce cook time. Plan 2 per lb for a piece so 16 hours for an 8 lb butt is now 8 hrs for a 2 4 lb halves. They may still stall for a while(maybe an hour+) understand this is normal. Toss in some potatoes warped in foil for the last ~2 hours they are always great and take very little effort, Good luck!

Excellent advise so far!!
I'm with ncwolf--I always recommend butt for a first smoke.
Pork butt is the most forgiving cut of meat out there. It just laughs at temp swings. Personally I prefer small butts. You have more surface area to cover with rub--so you get more flavor in the pulled pork and they cook a lot faster.
I take my butts to 205 degrees and then probe them. A probe should slide into the meat like butter. If it's bone-in the bone should wiggle freely.
Good luck!
Gary

Thanks! I know that I should probably follow the KISS principle BUT (T) adding chicken breasts should be simple (I have always done chicken breasts on the side when I BBQ'd - our 4 year old loves it as cold cuts for breakfast) and..... I have a slab of ribs that I gotta use up.... I either throw it in the smoker or wife boils them and fries them for soup.... so the way I see it, I lose nothing by throwing them in there in addition to the shoulder/butt :)

So fully knowing the risks I'm sticking my head in the sand as my legs march on forward :D

In any case, since S day is tomorrow, I'm ready to apply the dry rub to the meats. Found a simple recipe that looks good for both pieces of pork and my wife does marvels with breasts ;)

Your reasoning is solid and you will likely be fine. Me and the Boys were just trying to help you be successful on your first run. You may find some stuff below useful...JJ

Smoked Ribs as easy as 3-2-1

A full rack of Spare Ribs will take about 6 hours at 225*F...The 3-2-1 smoked rib recipe is a good way to smoke ribs and tends to turn out perfect ribs every time whether you are using the meatier Full rack spare rib or the Saint Louis cut. Baby Back ribs use a 2-2-1 method. The ribs are smoked at 225 - 250 degrees for best results...
The 3 stands for the 3 hours that you initially smoke the ribs with nothing but your favorite rub on them and some smoke with your favorite hardwood such as hickory, apple, pecan, etc. After the 3 hours you remove the ribs and quickly double wrap them in heavy duty foil.. just before you seal them up add some Foiling Juice or Apple Juice and close the foil leaving some room around the ribs for the steam to be able to flow around the meat and the juice to braise the meat which Flavors/Tenderizes it.

The ribs cook in the smoker wrapped for 2 hours undisturbed. There is no need for Smoke at this point... After 2 hours remove the ribs from the smoker, unwrap, saving any juices in the foil, and place back into the smoker for the final 1 hour, with smoke if you wish.This firms them up, creates a nice Bark and finishes the cooking process. You can add a glaze or sauce at this point if you like. The meat will be pretty close to fall off the bone and be extremely juicy, tender and flavorful...JJ

Foiling Juice / Sweet Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

Foiling Juice

For each Rack of Ribs Combine:

1T Pork Rub, yours

1/2 Stick Butter

1/2C Cane Syrup... Dark Corn Syrup...or Honey

1/4C Apple Cider...or Juice

1T Molasses

Optional: 2T Apple Cider Vinegar. Add 2T Mustard and 1/4C Ketchup to make it more of a KC Glaze.

Simmer until a syrupy consistency.

Allow to cool for 5 minutes, pour over foiled Ribs and

run your 2 hour phase of 3-2-1. For the last phase return

the ribs to the smoker BUT reserve any Juice remaining

in the Foil. Simmer the Juice over med/low heat to reduce to a saucy thickness. Glaze the Ribs for presentation or service.

For a Sweet Finishing Sauce for Pulled Pork: Make a Double batch, skip the Butter.

If you plan to Foil the meat, add 1/2 the batch to the Foil Pack or place it in a Pan with your Butt, when the IT hits 165*F.

Cover the pan with foil and continue to heat to 205*F for pulling.

At 205* rest or hold the Butt in a cooler wrapped in towels until ready to serve.

Pull the Pork and place it back in the pan with the pan Juices and any additional reserved Foiling Juice to moisten, the meat should be shiny and juicy but not swimming in sauce. Serve while hot...OR... Bag and refrigerate until needed.

If you choose to Not Foil or Pan the Butt. Add the Finishing Sauce to the pulled meat before serving. Add the hot Finishing Sauce a little at a time until the Pork is moistened, again the meat should be shiny but not swimming in sauce.

When re-heating place the Pulled Pork in a Pan or Crock pot and add reserved Foiling Juice or Apple Cider, as needed to make up the Juice that was absorbed while the pork was refrigerated. Cover and re-heat in a pre-heated 325-350*F oven or on High in the crock pot to 165*F and Serve.

I was AMAZED...No additional sauce needed. ENJOY...JJ

Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

This is more of an Eastern North Carolina style Finishing Sauce...

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar

2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste

1/4C Brown Sugar

1T Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Granulated Garlic

2 tsp Granulated Onion

2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper

1 tsp Celery Salt

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Red Pepper Flake. Add more if you like Heat.

1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. This is a thin sauce, bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. Adjust sweetness by adding Brn Sugar or additional Vinegar as desired...Makes about 2 Cups.

For a Lexington Style Dip add, 1/2C Ketchup and 1-3tsp Red Pepper Flakes...JJ

Thanks! I have to admit that I do have some trepidation and I am hoping that I didn't bite off more then I can chew :D (literally and figuratively as that's going to be a boatload of meat!!!!).

Weather is nice here - fairly warm with Santa Ana winds so after we come back from buying our 4 year old her first bunk bed I will fire up the smoker :D

Here's hoping to success :cool:

So here's an update : everything came out great though needing a wee nit more salt.
Due to some behavioral issues with the 4 year old I didn't get to take pics of the rnd product.

Many thanks to all for the recommendations and suggestions!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky