First smoke on my new WSM and it WASN"T love at first sight.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
Long whiny post warning:
after much consternation, and searching the used social media sites, I dropped coin and bought a brand new WSM 18.5. I spent hours and hours perusing knowledge posts, including Jeff's, to make my first ride uneventful and stress free. Obviously my biggest concern was fire/temperature management. For my first cook i unwisely picked a 4 bone beef plate rib that was on sale for $10.99/lb. 4 bones about 4 lbs.
Went to HD and got some Kingsford blue bag briquettes. so, I fillned the ring about 1/2 way with briquettes.
had my Inkbird probe at top cooking grate level in away from the sides. loaded about 20 briquettes into the chimney and got them going well. Dug a crevice into the charcoal in the ring and added the smoldering briquettes there, with 4 chunks of hickory around the top of the charcoal in he ring. Added middle section and filled the water pan about 3/4 full. All bottom vents were open per instructions. Waited until the inkbird probe hit 200 the closed the bottom vents to where there was about a pencil gap open. Temp kept climbing. 300 then 325.closed two of the bottom vents and waited. temp held at about 300 then dropped a few degrees.
quickly removed lid to stabilize chamber temps. At this time I had one bottom vent "cracked" open, top vent open all he way. added meat with probe into input 2 of my Inkbird. grate temp seemed to settle in around 275 plus or minus a few degrees. monitored grate temps obsessivelty with phone app. I was really hoping for a 250 cook temp rfom all that I have read. I'm a whiny little bitch that is used to using my MB560 gravity where I can set the temp at 240 and it will hit and sit at 250 all day long.
So if you're still with me, I'm open to recommendations. I Think I loaded too much charcoal initially.
I can't imagine trying to cook a skinny slab of st louis ribs at the temps i was experiencing.
Every blog i read noted that temp control can be frustrating on WSM's until you dial it in.
I'd also like suggestions on how much charcoal to load for a slab of ribs, ideally cooked in the 250 range (about 4-5 hours.
The ribs were "OK"
Thanks for listening to me whine.

Attachments

• IMG-4603.jpg
    IMG-4603.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Pencil is too much air.

I have a set of dowel rods that go maybe as small as 1/16" , up to 1/2" . I'll try to find a pic. Long time ago, some math wizard assigned a percentage of opening to each dowel rod size.

I want to follow along! Can't help with any knowledge though. Can say spare ribs can be cooked at those temps... hot and fast no wrap. My cheap $20 kettle really has no air control so loves running hot, especially with too much charcoal.

Ryan

Sounds to me like you started off with too many lit briquettes. I have a 22" WSM, but I think the starting procedure would be the same. Just on a smaller scale.

On my 22" I start it this way. Get yourself a coffee can, tomato juice can or something similar in size - width wise. Place the empty can in the center of your charcoal grate. Stagger your wood chunks around the charcoal grate. One near the center, one half way between the center and outside edge, and one on the outside edge. I usually put one in the direct line with each of the intake vents. Now fill you charcoal ring burying the wood chunks. Pour about 5 to 10 fully ashed over coals in the can(the number of lit coals is dependent on your desired smoking temp). Vents should be fully open. Pull the can out of the WSM. As the temp starts to rise start slowly closing down you bottom vents. Let the temp stabilize before making your second adjustment(about 15 min.) and so on. On windy days I fully close down two of the vents, and adjust with the one vent that is not in the direct path of the wind. I use the water pan as a barrier between the hot coals and the food. I don't put water in the pan unless I'm shooting for temps near 225". Once you figure out the best way of starting your WSM. You'll love it.

Chris

Sounds to me like you started off with too many lit briquettes. I have a 22" WSM, but I think the starting procedure would be the same. Just on a smaller scale.

On my 22" I start it this way. Get yourself a coffee can, tomato juice can or something similar in size - width wise. Place the empty can in the center of your charcoal grate. Stagger your wood chunks around the charcoal grate. One near the center, one half way between the center and outside edge, and one on the outside edge. I usually put one in the direct line with each of the intake vents. Now fill you charcoal ring burying the wood chunks. Pour about 5 to 10 fully ashed over coals in the can(the number of lit coals is dependent on your desired smoking temp). Vents should be fully open. Pull the can out of the WSM. As the temp starts to rise start slowly closing down you bottom vents. Let the temp stabilize before making your second adjustment(about 15 min.) and so on. On windy days I fully close down two of the vents, and adjust with the one vent that is not in the direct path of the wind. I use the water pan as a barrier between the hot coals and the food. I don't put water in the pan unless I'm shooting for temps near 225". Once you figure out the best way of starting your WSM. You'll love it.

Chris
thank you. it's been ages since i cooked with briquettes. might have to dig up a can and try that. I think about 1/3 of the briquettes i started with will suffice.

Reactions: JLeonard
thank you. it's been ages since i cooked with briquettes. might have to dig up a can and try that. I think about 1/3 of the briquettes i started with will suffice.
It's much easier to raise the temp then to lower the temps. Patience at the beginning is the key to a long enjoyable smoke.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions fire away
Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
I always started with 25 lit briquettes. I would count them out. But they were scattered around on top of the unlit coals.

Back in that time , I would try to cook at 225 to 250. Its a theory that the WSM runs cleaner at higher temps, like 275 or hotter. Harry Soo competes with WSM's and he cooks at 275 and buries his wood chunks under the coals.

Today, I don't use the WSM for that kind of cook, but if I did, I would go 275.

I use mine now for direct high heat, yardbird and pork steak. This chicken is from last Saturday, got more smoke on them than I wanted. But they tasted great. No water pan. One chimney of lit charcoal.

20230722_155854.jpg

Reactions: jcam222
I used to start mine with 10-12 lit briquettes & wood chunks mixed in with the unlit briquettes. It may take a few runs to get it dialed in, but when you do it really is just about set & forget. Also when new, the WSM’s do tend to run hot & leak a lot of smoke, but when broken in they are a treat to use. Paired with a BBQ Guru, you have the best of both worlds!
Al

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
I used to start mine with 10-12 lit briquettes & wood chunks mixed in with the unlit briquettes. It may take a few runs to get it dialed in, but when you do it really is just about set & forget. Also when new, the WSM’s do tend to run hot & leak a lot of smoke, but when broken in they are a treat to use. Paired with a BBQ Guru, you have the best of both worlds!
Al
thanks Al. is there an "amount of unlit briquettes" to start with? Just a pile? it's been a coons age since i grilled with briquettes? If I were doing a butt or brisket, i could have managed, but when i do a slab, I'm pretty hard-headed about cooking on 250 or less.

Also when new, the WSM’s do tend to run hot & leak a lot of smoke, but when broken in they are a treat to use.
What Al said. It will run hot first few cooks. Using water to help keep temp down but down the road water not needed. I use a 14" clay saucer wrapped it foil set on the water pan for easy cleanup. I also use the Guru.

Dont know is this will help or not.....But a lit briquette is about 25 degrees or so I've read. I've used this number in deciding temps in my kettle for long cooks. It seems to work pretty well. Like others have said its easier to get hotter than cooler.

Jim

I don't think the number of lit coals is the relevant issue, its the amount of air the coals are getting that determines the temp.

In OP's scenario, I would've cut the air down to 10% on each vent when the cooker hit the 240 range, if 250 was my goal temp. And if that did not stop it, I would start completely closing off vents , one at a time.

Reactions: fxsales1959
thanks Al. is there an "amount of unlit briquettes" to start with? Just a pile? it's been a coons age since i grilled with briquettes? If I were doing a butt or brisket, i could have managed, but when i do a slab, I'm pretty hard-headed about cooking on 250 or less.
I've always used a full ring of coals. When I pulled whatever I was smoking off. I'd just close all the vents including the top vent, and let the WSM snuff itself out. Then you can reuse what ever coals are left. Like the others have said. Since yours is brand new it will take a few cooks to season it until it's as air tight as it can be. The fit of the door is usually the trouble spot for fit. It may need a little messaging with your knee, and some seasoning to get it right. Some people use gaskets to get a tight seal. I never had to.

Chris

I've always used a full ring of coals. When I pulled whatever I was smoking off. I'd just close all the vents including the top vent, and let the WSM snuff itself out. Then you can reuse what ever coals are left. Like the others have said. Since yours is brand new it will take a few cooks to season it until it's as air tight as it can be. The fit of the door is usually the trouble spot for fit. It may need a little messaging with your knee, and some seasoning to get it right. Some people use gaskets to get a tight seal. I never had to.

Chris
thanks chris. i bought gasket shit for the door but it didn't leak on this smoke. most of the smoke was coming out around the bottom of the middle section. i think once its seasonsed it'll go away.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky