First shot at a Tomahawk

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Teal101

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
Never done one, but seeing as its just a thick cut ribeye with the full bone still on I figure it cant be that hard! Finally able to as my wife delivered our first baby boy on June 9th and we can get back to eating rare meat again! Trimmed off any silverskin and most of the fat cap to let the rub get to as much meat as possible. Applied some garlic infused olive oil and liberally rubbed with my favorite steak rub, Spiceology Sasquatch BBQ Black Gold. This rub has truffle salt in it to give the meat a nice earthy flavor as well as activated charcoal for that black exterior. Ready to go onto the Traeger at 225* until IT hits 110*. I stopped it short of 120* as it was around 110* when doing this (Traeger chamber temp was 160* before I turned it on) and I wanted to make sure I did not overcook the steak. Pellets used were Lumberjack Fruitwood Blend (what was in he hopper).
20210626_171331.jpg

Took about 50 minutes to reach temp per the Inkbird Wifi monitor. Time to remove and sear. At this point some creole seasoned shrimp and asparagus were added to the Weber as well to round out the meal. Let the steak rest for 10 minutes before putting it on the grill.
20210626_181846.jpg

Quick sear on one side, then flipped and applied a herb butter. Herb butter consisted of Kerrygold Soft butter with minced Garlic, fresh Thyme and Rosemary from our garden mixed in. Once the steak hit 125* I pulled it and applied the rest of the herb butter to the opposite side. Done! Asparagus was a simple olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper mix cooked till lightly crispy.
20210626_182537.jpg

Check out that butter. We've been solely butter basting steaks in cast iron (Wifes pregnancy craving) so I knew I had to get butter on this thing somewhere.
20210626_182545.jpg

This turned out amazing. Next time I will pull it just a little sooner off the Weber as it was a bit too done for my usual liking. Luckily Ribeyes are so tender even when they are Medium Rare/Medium they are tender as all get out. This got the seal of approval from the wife! Yeah I ate a shrimp before I took the picture, I had to.
20210626_183358.jpg

Thanks for looking guys!

Looks fantastic!
Is there a reason you waited so long between the smoker and the grill?

Looks fantastic!
Is there a reason you waited so long between the smoker and the grill?
Thanks! Saw it in a few recipes to allow the steak to rest a bit between the smoke and the sear. Overall I think it was unnecessary and probably contributed to the steak being a little overdone for my liking. Next one will transfer straight.

Reactions: kilo charlie
Thanks! Saw it in a few recipes to allow the steak to rest a bit between the smoke and the sear. Overall I think it was unnecessary and probably contributed to the steak being a little overdone for my liking. Next one will transfer straight.

That's the way I've done it.. just straight from the smoker onto the grill.. was just wondering if I was missing something LOL

I'm not much into reverse searing, but I can't argue with your results. Nice Job, and congrats on the new addition.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Teal101
Teal101, Blessings and congrats on the birth of your new BBQing buddy.
My brother uses a Pit Boss pellet grill and smokes his Ribeye's at 225°F to 110°F and then cranks the grill to 400°F to get that sear. He likes his steaks medium and I keep asking him "why?"

Reactions: Teal101
I'm not much into reverse searing, but I can't argue with your results. Nice Job, and congrats on the new addition.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank you, I have really gotten into reverse searing after getting the Traeger.
Teal101, Blessings and congrats on the birth of your new BBQing buddy.
My brother uses a Pit Boss pellet grill and smokes his Ribeye's at 225°F to 110°F and then cranks the grill to 400°F to get that sear. He likes his steaks medium and I keep asking him "why?"

Thank you! My Traeger has so much crap in it from smoking all the time that cranking it up creates quite a acrid smoke, that and it has a hard time getting to 400. I need to use that Weber for something haha!
Awesome looking meal! And congrats on your new baby!

Ryan

Thank you!
Nice job on the steak!
I think I would just hold it by the handle & just eat it like a caveman!
Congrats on the new addition to your family!
Al
Thanks! I did gnaw on that bone for awhile, good stuff!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky