Fire in the hole!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3montes

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 26, 2007
Beautifull shores of Lake Superior
Had a fire break out in my offset yesterday! In all my years of smoking I never had this happen before. I had 4 briskets on at the time but fortunately they were in foil pans and covered otherwise I would have lost them I'm sure. I happened to notice a lot of smoke coming from my exhaust which is unusual because normally I am running a nice thin blue or just a heat signature. When I got within 6 feet of the smoker I could hear the fire howling!
icon_eek.gif

I shut down all the vents on the firebox. I knew I needed to get the briskets out of there So I put on my welder gloves and open the cabinet doors and the flames came leaping out! I used my fire poker to grab the shelves and pulled them out as far as I could then grabbed each of the 4 pans containing my briskets. I was able to save the briskets thank God they were in pans and foiled! These are for a party today and I would have been screwed as I don't think I would have been able to save them had they just been on the racks.

Not sure how this happened as I had cleaned the smoker less than a week before and had not used it until yesterday. When I clean I take all the racks and tuning plates out and use a wide blade putty knife to scrape all the grease out of the bottom of the pit. The tuning plates have a build up thats as hard as cement as does the bottom of the pit right next to the firebox. I chip at it but very little comes off. Do I get it perfectly clean? No but the majority of the excess grease comes out so I'm not sure how this fire started or where the fuel came from.

I had 4 big briskets on all day and had just panned them a hour or so before the fire broke out. I'm thinking two  things and maybe a combination of both. Did the solid mass of the 4 pans on the racks force the heat down and concentrate on the bottom of the pit and ignite the grease that was left?

Also I recently started building my fire in the fire box closer to the opening in the pit. This is because I put a log up against the otherside of the box as far away from the fire for preheating. So I guess this allows for the flames to more easily lick into the smoke chamber from the firebox. Because I had just panned the briskets I was building the fire up to increase the temp in the chamber.

First preventive measure I will take is to go back to preheating my logs on the top of the outside of the firebox and build my fire further away from the chamber opening.

I will be using it again today so hopefully I don't have a repeat!

Not only am I glad you saved the briskets, I am really glad you didn't get burned. Having your welding gloves handy was a very good thing. I think I learned a very valuable lesson from this. I wish it could be posted some way that everyone could read it.

Glad you're OK, Joe.

Not only am I glad you saved the briskets, I am really glad you didn't get burned. Having your welding gloves handy was a very good thing. I think I learned a very valuable lesson from this. I wish it could be posted some way that everyone could read it.

Glad you're OK, Joe.

Yup, as much love as I have for brisket , I'm glad you're ok! Sounds like you're probably right about fire position though.

Thanks guys. This hobby is always teaching you things and presenting new challenges. So after my fire I go to the event on Saturday. Briskets are in the Carlisle food keeper resting waiting to be rewarmed on the smoker. Get at the site and put some fire to the smoker and start rewarming food. I Have a portable 3 bay gas steam table I use when cooking for a event. Next to my smokers one of the best purchases I've made. Anyhow the legs on the steam table are threaded and come off for breaking it down for transport. So I set the table up add water to it hook up the lp tank and light the burner to start warming the water. I go back to check on it a half hour later to find the hose had wrapped itself around a support bar under the table and was close to the flame.For some reason I didn't notice this when I initially set it up.  It actually melted the insulation off the hose so I had to shut it down.

Now I have no steam table to keep things warm! Ugh!
hit.gif
So now what? No choice but to serve right off the smoker! I kept things warm in trays in the smoker while the wife worked the serving line. She would send me a text whenever she needed more brisket or turkey and I would pull it out of the smoker and replenish the non working steam table!

All in all everything went pretty well. No one went hungry and everyone seemed to like the food. Lots of compliments.

I'm glad this one is over. Now I can focus on a wedding I'm doing in two weeks for 300! I'm hoping a few less challenges crop up for this one!
439.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky