Fall off the bone ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kitchenbro

Original poster
Jun 24, 2022
So i know that in competition ribs fall off the bone isn't wanted but what a lot of people prefer. I recently was at a popular chain restaurant in Ontario called Turtle Jacks and i got ribs which i never get unless i'm at a BBQ joint. Anyways as i'm eating these ribs they are not only fall off the bone but you could pull the bone out and it reminded me of those precooked ribs covered in sauce at costco.
I'm just wondering if the meat is that pliable is that just overcooking

Reactions: JLeonard
So i know that in competition ribs fall off the bone isn't wanted but what a lot of people prefer. I recently was at a popular chain restaurant in Ontario called Turtle Jacks and i got ribs which i never get unless i'm at a BBQ joint. Anyways as i'm eating these ribs they are not only fall off the bone but you could pull the bone out and it reminded me of those precooked ribs covered in sauce at costco.
I'm just wondering if the meat is that pliable is that just overcooking
i have made ribs like that in my slow cooker/crockpot. I don't think they are overcooked, but I prefer being able to pick them up and bite into and not have them fall apart completely.

i have made ribs like that in my slow cooker/crockpot. I don't think they are overcooked, but I prefer being able to pick them up and bite into and not have them fall apart completely.
Yeah i know that slow cookers will give that a result but i'm talking cooking them in the smoker.

Yeah i know that slow cookers will give that a result but i'm talking cooking them in the smoker.
i don't think i ever got them like that in a smoker, gotten close by using the 3-2-1 method. that is 3 hours in the smoker. them wrap them for 2 hours in aluminum foil or butcher paper. them 1 more hour unwrapped with whatever sauce you like. if you skip the last part, it might work, or do 3 hours wrapped. I think aluminum foil holds the liquid in better.

I love turtle jacks, never had the rib's though
they're not worth it. I dunno something about the fact that i could just slide the ribs out put me off. I guess because i'm not used to it because i usually just eat ribs done from the smoker. I assume they're probably boiled first before finished with sauce

It all comes down to individual preference. While I've had FOTB ribs that were ok they are not my favorite. I believe done to this degree takes the meat beyond peak flavor vs an easy clean bite rib. JMTC

Ribs can be tender and juicy at FOTB finish. I just prefer them with enough structural integrity to keep the rack together and able to pick up individual cuts by the bone without disintegration. As others said though it's personal preference.

Reactions: sawhorseray
I think when you can pull the bone while keeping the integrity of the meat together, it seems like it's more of a steamed rib. Just like you would get from a slow cooker. That's my thought anyway. Still a personal preference for sure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky