Even even more Colombian Chorizo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougE

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
I pretty much followed the recipe with the adjustments SmokinEdge SmokinEdge made. I also left the cilantro out cause it tastes like soap to me.

Not really many pics of the whole process along the way. Ground pork butt through an 8mm plate once, then mixed the cure and spices in. Veggies went in after I got good protein extraction.

1715987427183.png

Stuffed into 29-32mm hog casings. (It got a few extra days just sitting bagged in the fridge cause I didn't have time to stuff it).

1715987693058.png

I'll smoke these up and finish tomorrow. The smell while I was stuffing them was divine, so I expect these will be delicious.

Looks and sounds like your on your way to some tasty sausage Doug.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: DougE
I Could have stood a little more color but time was getting away from me. They look decent enough.
1716077914799.png

Finished in SV to 151°, gave them a cold water bath and hung to dry off and bloom.

Money shot

1716078064991.png

These are absolutely delicious and will definitely do again!

From that cut shot you aint even missing the cilantro! I'm in the soap tasting group.
Betting that is some fine tasting sausage,

Jim

Reactions: I-am-Chorizo
Exactly............ I don't get it. If you want to save money on buying cilantro, a bar of dove or safeguard will go a long way. lol
LMAO, evidently the soap taste is a genetic thing which explains why most people don't get that soap taste from it.

I got my mouth washed out with soap a few times by mom or dad for cussing or just being smart mouthed in general, and it isn't something I care to voluntarily do to myself.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That cut shot says it all...Looks awesome!
Thanks, Keith!
Nice! They look really good.
Thanks, Brian
From that cut shot you aint even missing the cilantro! I'm in the soap tasting group.
Betting that is some fine tasting sausage,

Jim
They are delicious, Jim. A nice well balanced sausage that's somewhat different than what I usually make.
Nice work Doug. Those look great. Definitely a good sausage to have in the rotation.
Thanks, Eric, and yeah, this recipe is a keeper for sure. Absolutely delicious.

Reactions: JLeonard
Those look great! You've now inspired me to make them now too :)

I I-am-Chorizo has started a wave of Columbian Chorizo over here, haha.
Thanks, and I highly recommend giving them a try. They're truly delicious. On the green onion, I just got a container of chopped ones off the produce aisle.

I kind of sifted through it to get what seemed to be the right amount for the bulbs and same with the green. I chopped them finer and added them last, a little at a time, until it looked like enough.

Reactions: geostriata
Thanks, and I highly recommend giving them a try. They're truly delicious. On the green onion, I just got a container of chopped ones off the produce aisle.

I kind of sifted through it to get what seemed to be the right amount for the bulbs and same with the green. I chopped them finer and added them last, a little at a time, until it looked like enough.
Thanks for the tip, I think I'll try similar. It also looks like in the original recipe, I I-am-Chorizo used a combination of large green-onion (scallion?) and small green-onion. I only have the latter available, but maybe balancing the green + bulb as you did maybe achieves a similar result.

I'm also on the fence about the roasted garlic. I recall making chorizo with unroasted garlic and loved how the smell permeated the house. But the roasted probably tastes better... Thinking maybe hedge a bit and do a combo of roasted and fresh...

I have some well established mounds of garlic chives growing, so that may be an interesting sub.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky