Electricy Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

golfpro2301

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I am currently using a 1500 Watt Brinkmann element in my smoker. It is plugged into a standard wall outlet 110V. I want to get more power to it to give me higher temperatures. Would this element hold up if I plugged it into a 220V outlet. If not is there an element you would recommend that I could easily attach a plug to the end of it?

I have a 8 in range top burner in my freezer conversion smoker.  Runs on 220   Have smoked in 0n degree weather no problems

Are most burner elements 220V? Also, Where is the best place to get 220V oven elements and what guage wire should I use on them?

After noon GolfPro2301,  A 1500W  240v element will put out 1500 watts...a 120v 1500W element will put out 1500 watts both will give you the same amount of heat but the 240 will run about 1/2 price in electricity. You will not get more heat unless you up the wattage.  Then a 240v element will be cheaper to run but needs a 240v circuit and that's why most smokers are under 1600 watts and 120v so you can plug in to a 15amp plug.  You can find 240v 2000 watt elements on amazon.

Hope this helps.

Stan

Reactions: boykjo
I am currently using a 1500 Watt Brinkmann element in my smoker. It is plugged into a standard wall outlet 110V. I want to get more power to it to give me higher temperatures. Would this element hold up if I plugged it into a 220V outlet. If not is there an element you would recommend that I could easily attach a plug to the end of it?
On a 15 amp circuit you are maxed out...   Can you insulate your smoker ??   What problems are you experiencing ??  Maybe we can help with a simpler solution...  Other than running a new 240V circuit, you are very limited.... 

electricity is sold by kilowatt/hour. 1500 watts used for 1 hour is 1.5 kwh no matter whether it was from a 110 source or a 220 source. The 220 circuit can use smaller wire due to 1/2 the amps it must carry to deliver the 1500 watts compared to a 110 volt 1500 watt circuit.

The 110 element would burn out on 220 V. An oven element is one choice if you have 220 available. There are so many shapes and sizes available you should be able to find something to fit. 

There are lots of builds documented here on SMF. Do a search and see what some have used.

Chuck

Last edited:
Yep, putting a 120v burner coil into a 240v circuit would be like running a 20 amp load on a 10 amp fuse - you get a puff of blue smoke, and possibly fire..... (both the fuse and your heating element work on the same principal - resistance)

The burner is 1500 watts and like the others said 1500 watts will always be 1500 watts and generally a heating element is rated for one voltage will only work properly at that voltage.

What kind of smoker are you using it in?   If it's a Brinkmann, then you are fairly limited on element selection due to size constraints, but you can do other things to keep heat in like insulate the outside of the smoker.  If it's a larger home made smoke box/cabinet, then you have other options.  Post more info on what you have and what temps you are seeing now vs what you would like to see and we can give you more suggestions.  Post photos if you have them.

Here are the two links to my build that I am using the element in

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/125788/first-run-on-new-fridge-need-help-with-heat/20#post_879107

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/135973/time-for-a-remodel#post_933166

The entire inside is steel and takes forever to heat up. It takes about 2 hours for it to reach 250. When the food is in it will max out around 240 which is fine with me since I usually cook between 225-235. But I would like to get a different element and run more power to it. I am hoping this will help with heating up faster, and give me higher temps when I only have time to cook hot and fast. A co workers son is coming over to install a 240V outlet in the next week or so. I have a large area for a new element in the bottom. Roughly 28.5" X 17". Still trying to find a good element online that is around 2500 watts. The max I can go with the Auberins controller I am using is 2880. Any suggestions

After noon GolfPro2301,  A 1500W  240v element will put out 1500 watts...a 120v 1500W element will put out 1500 watts both will give you the same amount of heat but the 240 will run about 1/2 price in electricity. You will not get more heat unless you up the wattage.  Then a 240v element will be cheaper to run but needs a 240v circuit and that's why most smokers are under 1600 watts and 120v so you can plug in to a 15amp plug.  You can find 240v 2000 watt elements on amazon.

Hope this helps.

Stan
yeahthat.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky