Drippings burning in WSM pan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brucehere

Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Hi,
I managed to do my first cook in my WSM! It was an awesome experience.
I did a whole chicken, so I went for a high heat, and left the water pan empty, as recommended by a lot of various form members.
My drippings naturally went into the water pan, but near the end of the cook, this had turned into a black crispy burnt pile. Which didn't actually smell great at all, and I have a feeling put some of that burnt/bitter flavour into my meat. as I didn't feel like I nailed it flavour-wise.

Is it normal for the drippings to turn into a charred thick gooey pile? Would foil prevent this, or do i HAVE to use water everytime to prevent this?

I would use a disposable pan,put the chicken on a rack that will fit in the pan.If no rack fits use Carrots,Celery to keep the bird off the bottom add some water if you want.Make soup with the veggies when done
Richie

Bruce,it's normal for drippings to scorch in the pan.Foiling will make it easy to clean but still burn and produce the associated smell.There are many approaches to fix this.
-If not using the lower rack for food,put a drip pan on it.This will not heat as hot as the water pan directly over the coals.
-Fill the pan with clean sand and cover with foil for easy clean up.If you do this you will want to preheat a bit or expect the temp to rise as it heats.
- Keep some water in the pan which will evaporate.This will be a time and temp thing as you will want your water to dry up in time to let the skin get crispy without overcooking the meat.
-Omit all of the above and let the bird drip on the coals.

I typically skin my birds and brine them so crispy skin is not an issue for me,yardbird skin ain't my thing unless breaded and fried.They are very easy to operate and forgiving smokers,you will get get to know the great smoker with subsequent cooks.
How's your wood collection coming along? My latest batch of apple is drying nicely,about ready.

Bill

I'm not much of yard bird fan but wife and daughter are. When smoking chickens for them i use the chicken stands that come with a small pan. I think they are variations of the drunken chicken or beer can chicken. Picked them up at tractor supply col yrs ago. I put about 2 cups water in the bowl and turns out good.

Motocrash says:
-Omit all of the above and let the bird drip on the coals.​

This is the ticket right here for bird! Take your diffuser out and let 'er rip! The skin benefits from the direct heat and the flavor you get from the drippings is that flavor you are missing that you are looking for. Even better if you have a rotisserie!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky