Costco Prime Briskets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin james

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Sacramento, CA
I know lot's of people here have been effected by the fact that Costco's in many regions are no longer carrying the Prime grade briskets.

I just got off the phone with Costco's corporate office to inquire about this and complain. The customer service rep was very nice and said that she would escalate this to their main buyer who deals with the briskets. She said the more calls they get like this the more likely it is that they would rethink this decision.

So... If your like me and Costco is the only LOCAL source for Prime briskets, it would be a good idea to put in a call to the corporate office at 800 774 2678 to complain. I know it's a long shot, but the more calls they get the better.

Additionally (not in place of a call) you can also go to their website and put "feedback" in to the search bar, and you can leave them a message about it that way as well.

Interesting. I know my grocer switched from mostly Choice to mostly Select grade meats a while ago (pre-shutdown) because prices had risen beyond a level their penny-pinching customers like me were willing to pay. Costco might be experiencing the same issue.

Or, it could also be a meat availability issue due to rising wages and the dramatic shift among workers during and after the shutdowns.

I'm not a Prime meat guy but I do shop at Costco. Time to call.

I really don't check the meat for grade. I just pick something out that looks and feels great. Kinda like dating in high school. You gotta trust your instincts.

Chris
I fell like this as well. I have had a killer choice packer and an iffy prime. really depends on the individual brisket. Best i can do is a bend test and go for it. get whatcha get.

Plus - Kroger sales are cheaper than Costco. I do love Costco, but I am very frugal. Cheaper will win out everytime.

We must be lucky because we are in beef country so they carry a nice collection of prime cuts across the board...They have also recently started stocking vac pak beef ribs....holy smokes they are just perfect because the "fridge date" is longer, we get so stuff much from Costco these days I could set up a second bedroom!

In the past, packers of any type were unavailable at my local Costco. I asked and was led to believe Costco didn't carry packers. I knew different because of SMF. Evidently, each Costco can decide what they will offer based on demand in their area. I bought them elsewhere.

Then they started carrying them, but they were cut in half lengthwise. WTH? It turns out that was a local decision, too. I bought my packers elsewhere.

Finally, they started carrying full packers. I bought a few, but by then, I was buying them from a different source for almost the same price and didn't have to deal with the Costco parking and checkout line nightmare.

Regarding meat grade, I generally look and feel the packer to decide if it is worth buying. My source provides Select and "Choice or better" packers. I've not tasted any difference by being selective.

In the past, packers of any type were unavailable at my local Costco.
Costco is kinda funny here... The closer one will put 2-3 in the case for sale at a time. But the biggest Costco in the USA is a few miles down the hwy from that one and they have a walk-in meat cooler and they normally have tons of packers, ribs roasts you name it. you can even buy cases of packers. the store is huge and insane...so you gotta have your game face on and move quick. Which is why I dont go to that store that often.

Costco is kinda funny here... The closer one will put 2-3 in the case for sale at a time. But the biggest Costco in the USA is a few miles down the hwy from that one and they have a walk-in meat cooler and they normally have tons of packers, ribs roasts you name it. you can even buy cases of packers. the store is huge and insane...so you gotta have your game face on and move quick. Which is why I dont go to that store that often.

Note to self.....bring the 150 Q cooler next time I’m down south and tell the wife I’m getting fuel.....I think filling the 150Q will be about the same as a fill up in the truck! We will be 1/2 way home before she realizes the back of the truck is full of beef!

Years ago, the beef at my local Costco changed. It started having a metallic taste and was not tender. Until then, I bought almost all our meat there. I was going to drop our membership due to the change in meat because I found a different meat source (same as the packer story earlier).

My wife convinced to keep the membership due to their electronics and their return policy. I rarely buy meat at Costco nowadays, but still get electronics and other things we consider household or
personal essentials.

Do I save $600 in membership fees every 10 years? Yep. I saved that alone in a year by changing to a refillable printer I bought at Costco instead of one that uses cartridges.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky