Cold Smoke on the Smokepro STX

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

markh024

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 8, 2016
Chicagoland
I decided to try a few blocks of cheese again after my first attempt a few weeks back was not the greatest. Smoke was thick and my duration was too long i feel.

I pulled the ash drop open and removed the heat shields. Placed my Amazn tube down by the opening with a small fan blowing into it. Certainly provides better circulation and cleaner smoke than my first try. Holding a steady 58-60 degrees initially. I'm only smoking these blocks for about 1.5-2 hrs.

About 35 min in now and climved up to 68*
20180408_141845.jpg

What type of cheese are you smoking? I've found that different types of cheeses need different methods for smoking.

Today i have a block of Medium Cheddar, Colby, and Gouda. Didnt go bananas this time in case it doesn't go well.

I’ve tried medium cheddar twice now. Most recently was about 3 hours over the amazen pellet smoker. Still a little harsh. Next time will be 2 hours. Hoping for improved taste.

I've been using dust for most of my smokes(it burns cleaner), but I'm still dialing in times. Weather permitting I'll have a batch going this week. Mostly sharp cheddar with a few blocks of horseradish and habanero mixed in.

Chris

My first run back at the end of Feb, I did Med Ched, Sharpe, Ched, Bacon/White Cheddar, Pepper Jack. I did halves at 2 hours and 3 hours smoke. The 2 hour smoke after 4 weeks vac sealed rest wasn't too bad. Still a little more pungent smoke taste than what I would consider a store bought. The 3 hour smoke is way too much so I'm just letting those sit for a few months I think. Some of the ones I tried I actually shaved off the outer most layers on each side and it certainly tempered the overpowering flavor.
I'm hoping the 3 blocks I did yesterd at about 1hr 40 min come out better. And I was using Apple Blend from BBQ delight on this last run. The first run was with PB Competition Blend and that was probably a wrong move to begin with. I found a supplier close to home that carries Lumberjack 20lb bags for $8.99 each. I picked up 3 bags of Hickory for regualr hot smoking but if I choose to cold smoke more I might go back for some apple.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky