Church Men's Group BBQ, need suggestions / recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

radioguy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Hey all, I been asked to head up our annual Men's Cookout at my church. We are doing it a bit different this year as it is also a fundraiser for our Angola Medial Clinic Ministry In the past is has been just plain burgers and dogs, potato salad and so on. I want to switch it up and make chicken the star, kinda with a beach/island theme. Event is for about 75, held on a summer Friday evening.

Here are my first ideas, have to start planning, purchasing while not breaking the bank.
I will brine boneless chicken thighs with a "roadside type brine" featuring Island flavors, dont want to do Jamaican jerk too spicy for this large group. Spices include thyme, mint, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, cayenne, black pepper. Citrus /lemon, lime, pineapple, mango.

Beachy Baked Beans, not sure here pineapple, ginger
Island style Cole slaw
Fresh Fruit salad
Various Sweets for dessert

Please let me know your recipes, thoughts.

RG

Reactions: JLeonard
Sounds really good to me. Maybe a few bottles of jerk "dipping sauce" that guys could add if they wanted to kick it up a little. This is a good base to play with. I run mine with vinegar, more ketchup and no LS. I use a healthy glop of WW and also the green stuff. It's pureed onion and green onion mostly.

Reactions: radioguy
Cajun Power Baked Bean Syrup is the easiest thing to make amazing baked beans. One jar to one can of beans. Has all the ingredients you need. This might be a time saver for you so you can focus on the meat.

Sounds really good to me. Maybe a few bottles of jerk "dipping sauce" that guys could add if they wanted to kick it up a little. This is a good base to play with. I run mine with vinegar, more ketchup and no LS. I use a healthy glop of WW and also the green stuff. It's pureed onion and green onion mostly.

Z,
Thanks thats a good idea to add jerk to the menu. Defiantly going to make some of that green stuff. I have scallions in the garden. Thinking, sweet onion, green onions, shallot, chives and a pinch of mint.

RG

Reactions: zwiller
Cajun Power Baked Bean Syrup is the easiest thing to make amazing baked beans. One jar to one can of beans. Has all the ingredients you need. This might be a time saver for you so you can focus on the meat.
Will look that up for our bean recipe
Thanks,
RG

Reactions: GatorAGR
All great suggestions here. Hopefully you’ll have time to take some pics and post it up for us to drool over!

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky