Chicken wing sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sniltz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2008
China Grove, NC
 I was wanting to try something different for my smoked chicken wings for the Super Bowl and I thought why not ask y'all. 

The sauce I use now is,

1 large bottle of franks red hot sauce

1 1/2 sticks of butter

1/2 cup of my all purpose rub

It goes great on wings, but I always use it.  So I was wandering what kind of sauce do y'all use?  Sweet and Sour, Atomic, sweet soy.  I would love to here what y'all have. 

Thanks

I use a honey BBQ salt-free rub on boneless/skinless breast tenders cut into strips and baked in the oven and a Balsamic lo-salt vinegar dip.

I haven't smoked wings for a long time, but my last round was a doozer. This isn't a standard prep/finish for wings, so if you're looking for something a bit off-the-wall, this may be right up your alley. It's a hot and spicy brine.cure (you could forgo the brine/cure, if you like), hot rub and tossed into a melted butter/hot-sauce, then back into the smoker for a high-temp finish to crisp the skin. No dipping or finishing sauce was really needed with these, and they packed a whallop, so for hot wing lovers, they're a great change from the same old wings. If anything is desired for dipping, you may want something dairy-based to cool the inferno, like Ranch Dressing. Recipes, process and tons of pics to lead you down the road along the way.

Note: this process is best suited to propane smokers, as a high-temp finish is preferred, although an oven finish @ 375-400* or so would work out fine, just not quite the same as open grates in the smoker. Another option would be a hot char-grilled finish, which would be even better:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...g-in-town-the-wild-wing-method-recipes-q-view

Enjoy!

Eric

Do you inject?

I smoke a lot of wings and I've tried a few sauces but I need to branch out some more. Some I have used...Franks/ good...Franks Hot Buffalo/ real good, little bit of heat...Texas Pete Firey Sweet/ not much fire, I wasn't crazy about it....Stubbs Chipotle Butter/ very good flavor but not much heat. I guess Franks Hot Buffalo is my go to but I am always looking for something new.

I usually mix 2:1 with Creole Butter and always inject, I love the sauce but don't like it all over my fingers, I want the flavor inside with the meat.

I too smoke a lot of wings. I have two go to sauces that I use the most. The first would compare to a spicy garlic at BWW. The second is a caribbean jerk recipe I use. The spicy garlic I found online and tweaked it to my liking. The Caribbean jerk recipe I was almost certain I got off this website quite a while back but when I went to look for it to see whose it was, I couldn’t find it. Maybe I got it somewhere else. IDK. Either way, here are the recipes.

Spicy Garlic Wing Sauce

2/3 Cup Frank’s Cayenne Pepper Sauce
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 Teaspoon Granulated Sugar
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Course Ground Black Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce

Original recipe calls for 2/3 cup of veg oil. I found this to be too much. 1/3 to 1/2 is plenty IMO. Also, I usually throw in more garlic power and sometimes some fresh garlic.

Caribbean Jerk
  • Tablespoons margarine
  • 2 Tablespoons minced onion (white and light green parts only)
  • 1 Cup water
  • 3/4 Cup ketchup
  • 1/2 Cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 Cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons white distilled vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons Frank’s cayenne pepper sauce
  • 2 Teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 2 Teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 Teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1-1/2 Teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 1 Teaspoon dried parsley flakes
  • 1 Teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1/2 Teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 Teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 Teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/8 Teaspoon ground clove
  • 1/8 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 Teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/8 Teaspoon rubbed sage
  • Cornstarch to thicken if needed
Good luck. Enjoy

ae

Oh I forgot one...Tapatio/good heat and great flavor!

Eric, I just read you thread (first time i saw that) and first thought "that seems like a lot of work" then thought "injecting 30-40 wings IS a lot of work"! I might try your method sometime (well since I like your other methods so much)!

I loves me some wings and always looking to step it up!!!

Oh I forgot one...Tapatio/good heat and great flavor!

Eric, I just read you thread (first time i saw that) and first thought "that seems like a lot of work" then thought "injecting 30-40 wings IS a lot of work"! I might try your method sometime (well since I like your other methods so much)!

I loves me some wings and always looking to step it up!!!
ROTF.gif
I got a good laugh out of that!

I just re-visted that thread after seeing your response...man, that was over 2 years ago, but I'd do it again in a heart-beat. Smoke chamber temps are a bit different than I remembered.  I'd probably tweek the temps, among other things, just a bit for an even better finished wing...always room to improve those first runs, ya know, and I'm always looking out for a better way to get killer eats. Those wings are actually a lot simpler than it seems, it was just a boat-load of wings to get smoked-up that day. Not difficult at all, and I like easy when the opportunity presents itself.

Hey, you know what else? That was one of my early wet to dry smoke chamber experiments...I didn't even realize it until I buzzed through the method for preparation and cooking. Who'd of thunk? Ha!!! I've probably used the wet/dry smoke chamber for a lot longer than I think. I guess I just started getting really serious about the limitations and benefits of it all last spring.

Let me know if you try it...I'd love to hear your feed-back!

Eric

Last edited:
 S2K9K, I don't inject chicken wings.  I thought about it, but I ususally cook about 100 chicken wings for the SB party.  So that would be a lot of work.   Aleder2, That looks good. Also Forluvofsmoke, that looks good as well.  Thanks

Man you guys are making me hungry for some wings. I injected some about two months ago. Dang good stuff there. Maybe I'll do some this weekend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky