Char-Griller Smokin Pro 830 with side firebox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I tried the tuning plates, pulled them out. Turned the main chamber tray upside down, turned it back right side up...

The mods that I made that worked for me are:
1) Extended the smoke vent to grate level with aluminum flex drier duct.

2) Put a piece of expanded metal on top of my SFB cooking grate to get my charcoal out of the low coal grate to keep the coals from being smothered out with ash.

3) put an aluminum pan on the sfb side filled with hot water to help stabilize the temps.

All of which have helped me. That is all I have done other than replacing the wheels with larger ones to make moving it to comps easier.

I just took 12th out of 40 teams at Norfolk in pork, and overall 24 with my 2 Char-Grillers, so they will do a good job. That was my second competition, and my first one this year. I have seen several of them at other comps as well, so even though they are a fairly low priced smoker, they are very versatile.

Bill

After reading all the neat mods you CG owners have done, I decided to give it a go.

First, I flipped the pan upside down in the main chamber. That made a HUGE difference in evening out the temp across the grates.

I clamped an extension on the smoke stack to extend down to the cooking grate level. I tucked it into the corner of the lid and fastened the loose end with a home made sheet metal clip, pop-riveted to the end of the lid (see picture).

In an effort to help keep the heat and smoke in along the sides of the main chamber, I installed a piece of angle iron along each side of the barrel, just under and touching the lid edges (acts as a lip). It wasn't air tight, but it is a helluva lot better than the original design. Sorry, no pix of this...

I plugged the extra holes with stainless nuts and bolts.

Next will be installing a thermometer at each end and bigger wheels.

I didn't fasten my end of the vent down. I just let it hang....

As far as the wheel mod, here is mine:

And if anyone is wondering how many chicken halves you can fit in the main chamber and not crowd them, it is 12. I have them smoking right now ! ! ! !

Bill

I finished the wheel mod yesterday, man does this thing roll now! I used 4 hand cart type wheels from Harbor Freight. There was no axle at the fire box end, so that had to be added.

BTW, my wife thinks I'm nutz...
PDT_Armataz_01_09.gif

I've owned this grill for just over a month and am really enjoying it. I got some great ideas from this thread and have a shopping list started.

I was wondering if fire bricks to help retain/distribute heat would be a good addition?

Also looking to add a remote thermostat since the bbq is behind a garage and out of sight from the kitchen. Something like seen here: http://www.weatherconnection.com/pro...&mfg=all&page=

Some have tried the bricks and others have not. I use an aluminum pan with hot water in it. There is debate about that as well. I like it, so I use it. I am sure the bricks work to hold heat. How long or how well, ??? Different people like different ideas. I would say, if you can get some to try, go for it. If for some reason you don't like them, you can always pull them out. Most everyone I have seen or heard of using them, wrap them with foil to keep the grease out of them as they are porous and will soak up the grease.

I use the Maverick ET-73 remote thermometer. There is 2 probes, one for the cooking temperature, and one for the meat temperature. Also, it has low and high alarm temps. The alarms are great for keeping an "eye" on the cooking temps so you can add more fuel when the temps start to fall.

Bill

Bill,

The Maverick is the perfect tool for the job. Thx

I added the duct to the chimney and flipped the coal tray in the main. Time to go out and enjoy this fine smoggy Ontario sunshine and add a better smelling smoke to the soupy mix of pollutants :D.

Mmm ribs.

I found it at Lowes. When I back for more, they were sold out. But I was told that if you go to a place that sells gas furnaces, they should have some. Otherwise, wait until fall, and then go look in the furnace section at Lowes. I love it, but I found that you really need to clean it good before you apply the glue, and then find a way to clamp it tight until it dries. It might still eventually crisp off again (the glue). I just use those black paper clamps, or bent nails to keep them approximately in place. I'm looking around for some more of that rope sealer, and will try to be more careful in how I apply it this time.

Hi,

I'll intro myself in the intro thread soon. In the meantime, I've also done my homework and arrived at the Smokin'Pro as the most practical choice given all considerations. Just picked it up at Lowes today, and it's gonna sit in the box for the next month while I vacation and then ascertain it's really the one I want.

In the store I had turned the charcoal pan upside down. Seemed logical enough! I'll add a suggestion and ask a Q:

s) If you were to cut progressively larger notches along the edge of that pan, it would likely improve temp control even more without at all impeding its designed functionality.
q) What about drip? With that upside-down gulley, how does the grease and juice flow around the bottom? Has anyone come up with a way to salvage some of that while using the upside-down pan?

By flipping the charcoal pan, adding some bricks, and doing a couple other mods, (stack extension, charcoal basket) I am now able to maintain great, consistent temps. I smoked a pork butt on Sunday, (11 hour smoke). Using the side-side minion method in my charcoal basket, I only used 4 chimneys of charcoal, and my average temp was 234 deg.

I have concluded that the modified CGSP is the way to go!

PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

As the weather gets cooler and then cold in a couple months, how does the old Chargriller do in the cold weather. I fight mine getting my temps above 225 for any regular time, with several mods, so I am quite curious if I will notice any difference when it is say 32 degrees outside?

I am just buying a Chargriller 1224 used, and going to do these modifications. I like the Charcoal basket idea...what is the minion method( i have only ever used wood to smoke) Also, you don't seem to complain about the depth of the ash pan on long burns, did you modify that somehow...that seems to be a consistant "con"

Thanks

I have had my smokin pro for about 1 month now.  I have done the chimney extension to grate level.  My question is this.... Do I need to remove it if I am going to use it as a regular charcoal grill?  Just wondering if anyone knew what temp that the foil would start to burn.  I would just use the side fire box as a grill typically but want to be prepared.

I looked up the ratings for several brands of Aluminium flex duct and they all came in at about 500 degrees max temp. 

Hope this helps. 

Ok so I have one of these smokers/grills and i will soon be buying the side firebox and I have seen you guys talking about turning the charcoal holder in the main grill upside down what is the purpose for this. I assume you only do it when you are smoking in it not useing the main part as a grill.

I have a Char-Griller Duo and I love it. I got mine at Tracker Supply and it came with a fire box for $300. Their customer service is very easy to work with if you have concerns.

Ok so I have one of these smokers/grills and i will soon be buying the side firebox and I have seen you guys talking about turning the charcoal holder in the main grill upside down what is the purpose for this. I assume you only do it when you are smoking in it not useing the main part as a grill.
The purpose is that it will act as a baffle and help even out the temps across the grate. If you do this take the grates that come with the side fire box and place them underneath the overturned charcoal grate in order to allow heat and smoke into the cook chamber. Yes, only when smoking.

Last edited:
I have had the Char-griller pro for the past 6 years. It was a fathers day gift from my wife and kids. It has lasted me all these years, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love the cast iron grates it comes with too! Not to many griller/smokers that I looked at near me had them. Good luck with all your grilling and smoking. If you enjoy it half as much as most of the people do in these forums, I think you'll have a blast. I know I do...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky