Cajun Boiled Peanuts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Spicy dill pickle peanuts that you get commercially (with the pickle flavored dust on them) are deeeelish.

Doing your own batch of boiled ones with a salty pickle brine is a whole other flavor level!

We purchase our pickle juice in the gallon jugs and always have a couple on hand for this recipe (and chicken brining)
Best part is it doesn't require refrigeration!
Where do you find gallon jugs of pickle juice? I could definitely use some of that.

Reactions: SGMan
North Carolina is basically the New York of the Carolinas. They want to be southern but will forever be haunted by the "north" moniker. Give this recipe a try Jed. You're gonna be blown away by the flavor
Only because it’s you!

I made a batch of these this week, following Jake's TNJAKE TNJAKE recipe. I couldn't get Valencia peanuts, but I got raw peanuts in the shell. I cooked them 18 hours and tried them. Not crispy, but not "mushy" either. Very nice spicy flavor but not overly spicy. Cajun spices hit right away, with the jalapeno coming in later. I had my daughter, wife, and granddaughter try them and, alas, no joy! The didn't like them. But that leaves more for me!

I switched the crock pot over to "warm" after 18 hours because I was away all day yesterday. Today, I decided to add some more water and cook them for a few more hours (to get to 24) to see what happens. I will need to figure out what to do with any "leftovers". Seems like I could put them in a sealed Tupperware container and into the refrigerator and they'd last for a week or so. Would that be right?

Then I had an idea. My wife loves Reese's peanut butter cups -- the candy bars, in ice cream, etc. I wonder if a recipe could be created that was sweet instead of savory, maybe with some chocolate, sugar, honey, etc. If that's doable, it might go over pretty well here. Any thoughts on that?

I made a batch of these this week, following Jake's TNJAKE TNJAKE recipe. I couldn't get Valencia peanuts, but I got raw peanuts in the shell. I cooked them 18 hours and tried them. Not crispy, but not "mushy" either. Very nice spicy flavor but not overly spicy. Cajun spices hit right away, with the jalapeno coming in later. I had my daughter, wife, and granddaughter try them and, alas, no joy! The didn't like them. But that leaves more for me!

I switched the crock pot over to "warm" after 18 hours because I was away all day yesterday. Today, I decided to add some more water and cook them for a few more hours (to get to 24) to see what happens. I will need to figure out what to do with any "leftovers". Seems like I could put them in a sealed Tupperware container and into the refrigerator and they'd last for a week or so. Would that be right?

Then I had an idea. My wife loves Reese's peanut butter cups -- the candy bars, in ice cream, etc. I wonder if a recipe could be created that was sweet instead of savory, maybe with some chocolate, sugar, honey, etc. If that's doable, it might go over pretty well here. Any thoughts on that?
You can leave them in the crock set to warm for 5 days up to a week. They continue to get better every day

Not sure how I missed this! I traveled the south constantly for a few years as my sales territory. These were high on my list to grab from roadside stands. Love them and even better when spicy. I really need to do some of these. Good stuff Jake!

Looks like I am late to the party on this one. How in the Hell did I miss this thread???

Peanuts look good Jake! We did a batch at a crawfish boil bout 2 weeks ago...
IMG_20220522_162534.jpg

IMG_20220522_165616.jpg

On a whim a while back, I decided to substitute (part) of the water with pickle juice. And 'pickle peanuts' were born in my house. This is the main way that I make them for my wife now - she absolutely LOVES them this way :)
I managed to get some of that pickle juice. I'm curious what kind of water to brine ratio you are using? Thanks for the help!

I managed to get some of that pickle juice. I'm curious what kind of water to brine ratio you are using? Thanks for the help!
I usually use a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio of pickle juice to water. I have found that for best results, you should ensure the peanuts are covered in liquid and the seasonings have all been stirred in. Straight pickle juice (not diluted some) can be a bit strong.

I usually use a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio of pickle juice to water. I have found that for best results, you should ensure the peanuts are covered in liquid and the seasonings have all been stirred in. Straight pickle juice (not diluted some) can be a bit strong.
Thanks for the info. We're gonna give it a go tomorrow with 1:1 brine.

Well the results are in and that one is definitely a keeper. The 1:1 ratio wasn't strong tasting at all. Just a nice little sour twang in the background. Everyone thought they were excellent. I used our normal amount of salt adjusted down a bit to account for the salt in the brine and nothing else. We wanted to try some plain and see how the taste was. Now I want to try a small batch in straight pickle juice just to see how that comes out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky