Butcher shop Venison

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jls0412430

Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
Hello everyone,

I picked my deer up at the shop today, found out they put 15% pork trimmings into it. Would this be alright for snack sticks, or should I add more pork? What cuts do you recommend. Thanks!!

I would add more. My favorite is venison, pork and beef all together. Equal amounts

JLS, I agree with the other members about adding more fat, I like about 30% when you are using trim and about 25% when you are using backfat.

Thanks everyone! Does anyone have any suggestions of meat cuts that i can pick up at the local grocery store and ground into it?

JLS, Any fatty pork product(pork butt/pork shoulder) or ask the butcher if they have any pork back fat or pork trim for sale.

Hi there and welcome!

I would ask the butcher to sell you X amount of pounds of ground pork fat that way you don't have to grind yourself and you can get right to mixing and stuffing :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky