Burn one wood or different kinds at once?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoker4x4

Original poster
Dec 12, 2023
I'm new to smoking and was wondering what you all do to get the most flavor out of smoked meat. I know part of it is personal preference but I'd like to read your opinions and get some ideas on what type of woods pair well with which foods.

Is it best to smoke one wood like a oak or add a pecan and apple to it? Is a maple/pecan a good combo for red meat and poultry? Which woods can create a more harsh or bitter taste to the food?

I'm going to be smoking lots of red meat, poultry and pork with occasional fish and cheese.

Best wood and combo for...
Beef and lamb
Chicken
Turkey
Pork
Salmon
Cheese
?

Depends on what I’m cooking on.

WSM Pork - Hickory mostly, small amount of apple occasionally and small amount of pecan always.

WSM beef- hickory and oak

WSM chicken- pecan and apple

Offset- splits only

Beef- Red oak with white or post or only white or post.

Pork- hickory (when Im feeling spendy) and almond or anything else to build my initial coal bed and after I wrap, if I wrap. If Im not wanting to spend a lot, generally white or post. Pecan If I can get it.

Depends on what I’m cooking on.

WSM Pork - Hickory mostly, small amount of apple occasionally and small amount of pecan always.

WSM beef- hickory and oak

WSM chicken- pecan and apple

Offset- splits only

Beef- Red oak with white or post or only white or post.

Pork- hickory (when Im feeling spendy) and almond or anything else to build my initial coal bed and after I wrap, if I wrap. If Im not wanting to spend a lot, generally white or post. Pecan If I can get it.
Thank you.

Have you ever tried a maple/pecan blend for any cooks? I'm curious of that combo.

Last edited:
It's all a matter of personal tastes. Play around with different types of wood alone and in combos and see what you like. Keep a journal of some type which you should do for your smokes as well. Date, what your smoking, wood type, smoker temps, rub used or seasonings used, time it took and post what you thought about the smoke like did you like the wood type, rub type, smoker temp and such. Then you will be able to look back at what you did and what you want to change. It always help to have stuff written down it doesn't have to be fancy or long but it sure helps to figure stuff out, really helps when your starting out so you know what you did and how it worked out.
Maple and pecan would work as a combo just a matter of figuring out what you and your family likes.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Agree with all above. Regardless of what I'm smoking on, I use Hickory on Pork and Poultry. Oaks for all things Beef. Spare Ribs Hickory and Cherry mixed. Cherry adds a nice color to Ribs.

I have my favorites , but in general I view it as Fuel wood , flavor wood , and also added species for color of the finished meat .

Maybe this will help

Depends what I am smoking and sometimes the combination of meats. I can't easily get pecan or hickory splits by me but I have oak, almond, maple, apple, pear, plum and cherry to choose from. Waiting to get some pistachio and olive to experiment with once the guy I know cuts the trees.

Mostly it's what I can get my hands on. I like using Oak as a base then adding a fruit wood..... But since I have a whole apricot tree almost dry that I "removed for free" from someone that didn't want it..... that will be what I will be using for a while.....LOL Fruit woods are easier to get in my area so it works out its what I like....

I've been looking into the "Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey Barrel Smoking Oak Wood Chips" and was wondering if any of you ever used them? Also, can I use them as pellets on a pellet grill as the main wood through out the entire smoking/cooking process or are they just to be used in a small amount sparingly in a smoke box/tube or mixed in with pellets?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky