Brisket Save

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 16, 2007
Fired up the Treager last night around 8pm to smoke a 14 pound brisket.
IMG_8943.jpeg

About 3 min in to the warm up I heard a noise I have come to loath. Sure enough the gfi outlet tripped.
I reset it and tripped again. Tried a Manuel start and nothing. Keeps tripping the gfi. I busted out the portable battery backup and plugged in to it. Presto!
IMG_8945.jpeg

Rain was forecasted and 18 mph winds present. Didn’t want the battery getting ruined
Popped the side cover on big Jake and rolled everything over.

IMG_8939.jpeg

It was around 9pm at this point and everything should stay dry for the night. Treager set at 180. Off to bed

9 hrs In I took a look
IMG_8959.jpeg

It was looking nice.

Wrapped when it got to 170 at 715 am. Turned Treager up to 220 at that point also.
IMG_8960.jpeg

The battery is still going strong
IMG_8961.jpeg

Brisket flat is at 179 according to the trusty FireBoard. Time will tell how it turns out. I need to order a detent rod and a spare.

Last edited:
View attachment 69540514.75 hrs and it reached 195. Probed for tenderness and still a ways to go.

The battery pack should hold out. It wasn’t fully charged when I started but really close to it.
View attachment 695406
Good save! At this point the oven can finish the job should the battery die out. You are almost there and can definitely finish it off. Perseverance is a real thing! :D

Reactions: flatbroke
Well we only made it to a 3 hr rest. Wife was getting hangry. The flat is super moist, bend is good and tender is spot on
IMG_8989.jpeg

The smoker ring is pretty good the pictures are not altered
IMG_8995.jpeg
IMG_8998.jpeg
IMG_9002.jpeg

IMG_8997.jpeg

I only sliced a bit off of the end of the point for the wife and I to try. Oh man it’s good. Thanks for looking and hope you have a great weekend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky