Binoculars

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
We have a lot of birds at the river where I hang out. There has been quite a few Eagles lately. The last couple sets of Binoculars I have bought have double vision. Of course I bought fairly cheap ones. I really need a set of decent ones that wont break the bank. Can you get anything in the $100 range?

I would think 100 bucks would get you a nice pair . I've used them in the $50.00 range that were more than good for hunting .
Bought my son a small pair of Tasco 8X21 that were less than 20 bucks that work great .

You can find Vortex Triumph HD 10x 42 for right at around $100.00 bucks. Or a pair of Diamonbacks for 30 bucks more. I believe Cabelas has 15% off the triumph today. And Midway USA always has some deals.

I use a monocular because my eyes won't mix the image. I have to look through one eye or the other.
Weird part is I'm left eye dominant but right handed.

Reactions: JLeonard
I use a monocular because my eyes won't mix the image. I have to look through one eye or the other.
I had a nail cut my eye as a kid 10 or so had to wear an eye patch did the same thing kind of I shoot riffles and bow left handed. What’s weird is I write right handed and can shoot pistols more Comfortable right handed

Reactions: JIMSMOKES
I've got my father's from 50 years ago. Don't remember the brand as it probably doesn't exist today.
Go to sporting store and ask their opinion
My son is left handed but they say he is right eye dominant. He qualified marksman right handed in basic. He goes back and forth between pistol and rifle.
My father was originally left handed, but the (expletive deleted) school teachers made him learn to write right handed. Probably a good thing as he was right eye dominant

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Nikon, was watching a juvenal eagle chase a hen mallard this morning, they work very well with a harness.
There is a pair of factory refurbished for $50. I might give them a go.

1713696092445.png

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I have never been able to use binoculars properly. Never mattered the quality. If they are designed so that one side or the other can be used, I can scope with one eye.

Hey Brian, Ive shopped on and off for some and never pulled the trigger…but my curiosity spiked with you post. Found these that are well rated and about $50

Hontry 8x42 Roof Binoculars, IPX6 Nitrogen-Filled Waterproof Binoculars for Hunting, Bird Watching, Cruise Ship, Travel and Safari https://a.co/d/dSBPSW0

I've had a pair on compact Nikons for 20+ years now. Many seasons of hunting through cold and rain and snow and they are still holding up great. They were a birthday present so I don't know how much they were originally, but I doubt they were super expensive.

Edit:
Pretty sure they are these ones. https://www.nikonusa.com/p/sportstar-10x25/8202/overview

This looks like the modern version of them though. On sale now too.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mike243
Hey Brian, Ive shopped on and off for some and never pulled the trigger…but my curiosity spiked with you post. Found these that are well rated and about $50

Hontry 8x42 Roof Binoculars, IPX6 Nitrogen-Filled Waterproof Binoculars for Hunting, Bird Watching, Cruise Ship, Travel and Safari https://a.co/d/dSBPSW0
I like these Dave. Probably get the 10x42.

You probably all ready ordered, as I am always late to the dance, lol

But, Yes you can get good ones for under $100 US or ( $200 Canadian lol )

I have 4 sets of them, all for different uses.
For reg looking I like my Bushnell Bone Collectors , I have 2 very big ones for very long distance and star gazing.

David

You probably all ready ordered, as I am always late to the dance, lol

But, Yes you can get good ones for under $100 US or ( $200 Canadian lol )

I have 4 sets of them, all for different uses.
For reg looking I like my Bushnell Bone Collectors , I have 2 very big ones for very long distance and star gazing.

David
Not ordered yet but going to today. I will take a look. Thanks.

I have had the bone collectors for a while and great for everyday bird watching.
Small enough that they don't feel heavy even after holding for long times. We have lots of birds and things around the house and yard . So they are always at the ready in the kitchen / livingroom

David

You can't beat Vortex customer service, you just can't beat a 100% no questions asked repair or replacement policy.

I dropped my Viper's 5 yrs after I bought them, I called to ask how much it would cost to repair them. The lady asked for my address, which I thought was weird at the time. Until she said a new pair would be sent out second day US mail at ZERO cost to me.

I've looked through these, and they are impressive for the price, they aren't Viper quality, but very usable glass.

These seem to be pretty good once I got them figured out. Could not get both eyes than a friend showed me how the eye pieces turn out. Than got the right matched to the left. Really clear. I got the 10's.

Got a good look at Eagle carrying a fish today.

Last edited:
These seem to be pretty good once I got them figured out. Could not get both eyes than a friend showed me how the eye pieces turn out. Than got the right matched to the left. Really clear. I got the 10's.

Got a good look at Eagle carrying a fish today.
SWEET!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky