Authentic Pork Carnitas, Mexican Night at the Rellenos House

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Many thanks to everybody for all the replies and likes.
Really do appreciate the feedback, especially on a cook that had no grilling or smoking going for it.
just goes to show how much people love Mexican food... Even if a Bama redneck made it.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
When it comes to authentic Carnitas some people use different mixes of water, milk, juice and other items in with the fat, e.g. onions, garlic, sour oranges/rinds.
The thing to know about real lard is that it is NOT oil, it is fat.. Therefore, you can add and slow cook "wet" meat in it along with the some marinade ingredients without it popping all over like oil.
Using shortening such as crisco will NOT work for carnitas in the same manner.
After making the carnitas, you can save the newly flavored lard for reuse with other carnitas or anything else you would use reserved bacon fat for. Heck, try it in your next batch of baking powder biscuits.
Great Post...! Loves me some Carnitas for street tacos!

Last edited:
Reactions: chilerelleno
I raise grass-fed pork, (beef and lamb as well) so I always have lots in the freezer. I am definitely going to try your method for these. I am always looking for new ideas, especially Mexican as it is my favorite!

Reactions: chilerelleno
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky