Anyone here ever do a long smoke (pork butt, brisket) using an AMNPS and a gas grill?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hauser

Original poster
Jul 7, 2018
I recently did a great cold smoke on my grill (turned off) and am interested in trying a pulled pork or brisket on my grill turned down low using the AMNPS for smoke. One thing that concerns me is that a gas grill is extremely well ventilated for O2/propane mixing reasons, which means the smoke doesn't have a lot of time to roll around the meat before it exits the grill.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of cook and if so can you tell me if I'm just going to be wasting time and pellets on a really sub-par smoke? Thanks!

It can be done, and has been. If you burners are front to back then your better off then if they're side to side.

Chris

I posted about this awhile ago. Click on this link to see where I placed the AMNPS and find out how well it works:

Rotisserie Smoked Chicken - Using All My Toys At Once

You are right that the airflow through a gas grill is much higher than most smokers, especially electric smokers like the MES, for which the AMNPS was designed (the size was determined by the space at the bottom of the 30" MES). Click on the link to see how I get the smoke into the grill. Note that I do NOT put the AMNPS inside the cooking enclosure.

To get a good smoke tasted I do these things:
  • Light both ends of the AMNPS before putting it into the Weber grill's drip tray
  • Also put regular wood chips inside my little smoking box (you can use perforated aluminum foil) and use that as well
You will never get as much smoke as you get with most smokers, but because of the fast air circulation, the smoke taste is really fresh and true.

You will never get as much smoke as you get with most smokers, but because of the fast air circulation, the smoke taste is really fresh and true.

I'll check your tips and yeah that's what I noticed when I do my cold smoking, really clean smoke taste with no harsh campfire or creosote taste that others reports from using the AMNPS on a smoker!

For a cold smoke, the technique I showed might work even better than a hot smoke because without the heat and flames pulling in the air from the drip pan area, the air turnover in the grill is probably far less, resulting in a higher smoke concentration. I haven't tried it, so I can't say for sure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky