any advice for adjustments

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phathead69

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
TN
OK since I'm not to good on the pic and verbage posting I'm going to give dimensions and descriptions and post pics hoping you can put pics with associated description.
I've done several smokes on it with only one total fail and that was jerky. 2 brisket both moist and tender, thanks to all who contributed to that long thread on brisket, probe tender not time or temp. Ribs, butt and chicken still learning but all more c than eatable.
Smoker frame came from a custom built piece of equipment from work with 2 inch Sq tubing hence some sizing dictated to me. Issues with smoker that I built from pics not good info like size calculator and such lIke this site. If I elevate the fire can not hold temps down at all and keep any fire. If I build fire on fb floor, works pretty good but constant fight to hit a cruise of 235 250 with big spikes when adding wood.
So far best smokes for me is using small splits 1.5 inch well seasoned wood and no wind, stack full open, fb damper at .5 to 1 inch open, and I have to crack a vent in bottom of cc to allow some cool air in. Every 45 minutes add a split or two. Holds 235 245 or so.
Problem is low heat like bears dbl smoked ham at 200 and such, cant get that low. So take a look at sizes and design and let me know if there's any thing I can do to get lower and stead temps without bellowing white smoke . In know wood ain't a set and forget it deal but I would to hold a wider range a temps and keep them steadier.

FB inside dimensions 13.5x14x13, bottom lined with fire brick. Sides and back dbl walled with 2 inch air insulation. Doors insulated with fiber frax good to 1200f. Fresh air damper 10.5 x 3 with sliding door. Opening above fb can take a cook rack or framed insulated plug. Lid is insulated.
Pass thru to CC 10x3
CC is 17x28x35 non insulated walls or doors. Bottom has a 4x4 opening with slide gate I can open letting cool air in if I hit a aw crap over temp situation. You can see the end of the slide handle.
stack is 3 pipe 11 tall. I also have tuning plate that sits in cc against top of pass thru and does pretty good jod keeping heat even across.
. 20160612_172256.jpg 20160612_172413.jpg 20160612_171803.jpg 20160118_201033.jpg 20160125_192505.jpg 20160612_172256.jpg 20160125_192505.jpg 20160118_201033.jpg 20160612_171803.jpg 20160612_172413.jpg 20160612_172256.jpg

Attachments

• 20160103_140135.jpg
    20160103_140135.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 38
Quick calc says your firebox is roughly half the size it needs to be and FB to CC opening too big.You probably already know this.Gotta get to TG chores.....hit you up later

Bill

Little more info I left out. 3/16 steel every where. Motocrash is right about the sizing. I didn't know about that concept until later. I can take 2 in off each side of CC and down from top 3 in. I can come from back towards front pretty much what ever. To do this I would create dbl walls. I can cut out and redo the stack as needec. FB is pretty much what it is. I can easily cut down the pass thru size

When building a Fire Box for a smoker, you need 2 air inlets... One at or below the wood grate, and one above the fire, across from the FB/CC opening...

The upper inlet allow for adding cool air and moving heat from the FB to the CC, WITHOUT adding air to the fire.... allows for a much cooler smoke chamber.... Takes a bit to understand how it all works together, but it's worth it....

You will be happy with the results... Dave

You will need about 4 square inches in the upper air inlet... Make it adjustable like in the pictures....

Quick calc says your firebox is roughly half the size it needs to be and FB to CC opening too big.You probably already know this.Gotta get to TG chores.....hit you up later

Bill
What's the correct ratio of Cu Ft ... FB to CC? I think I have a similar problem with my stick burner. Can't maintain temp for any length of time.

Thanks for the info ... checked measurements and appears I’m right st or slightly above 1/3 so that leads me to believe I might need to add a “cool air” vent on my FB. One more question ... the “pass through” from my FB to CC measures 8”x5” ... is that TOO big? I have pictures will try to add for visual.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky