Alternative to A-MAZE-N Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just went on both Grillers Gold and B & B, and they both say 100% wood, but never mention 100% of the wood you're buying, like hickory, apple, etc. I would think if someone went through the "expense" of making them 100% of the wood you wanted, they would state that, as Todd does on his website - "A-MAZE-N PELLETS are made from 100% Flavor Wood. Each A-MAZE-N PELLET flavor is a 100% natural product with no added fillers, binders or oils.
For example, if you order Apple, you will receive 100% Apple Wood in a pellet, not 20%-30% Apple Wood and 70%-80% Oak or Alder."

I have seen the light! Now I'll see some smoke!!!! Thanks for pointing out the differences everyone!

I think zwiller may have meant "understated"...

Nope. Overstated as in "shill". Thought the same for the love of the AMNPS but decided to try it anyhow and IT WAS as good or better as everyone claimed. This is rare in today's age. Maybe I am not conveying this correctly (just ask my wife and friends LOL) but love Todd's stuff and the folks here at SMF.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I would think if someone went through the "expense" of making them 100% of the wood you wanted, they would state that,

Correct. All the companies that make 100% flavor wood state that prominently on the bag. If it doesn't say 100% 'whatever' wood, it ain't.

My B&B pellets clearly state oak mixed with the flavor wood.
No secret there.
Point is you can get high quality pellets that provide excellent flavor for an excellent price.
How many people can really tell the difference between 100% flavor wood and a mix?
Could they prove it if they claim they could?

.... $1.25 per pound delivered to my door.... about $0.31 per 4 hour smoke...
I highlighted the key part of Dave's excellent calculations. There's the whole point: if you can get some other chips for half the price, you've saved fifteen cents each time you smoke.

Does fifteen cents mean anything to anyone these days?

So buying from Todd is the ultimate no-brainer: you support a key person who makes this site such a great place, and you get the best pellets that money can buy (I've not once seen a post that claims some other pellets produce better-tasting smoke).

Not trying to get anyone upset here, but the original point of my questions was in the differences in brands of pellets. I checked B & B's website, and just did again, and saw no mention of anything other than 100% premium hardwood. It doesn't tell of a mix, or percentage (maybe it does on the bag). And this is why I posted the question - because the websites don't tell you. Which is why I rely on my smoking brethren to help me out.

Reactions: bill ace 350
Not trying to get anyone upset here, but the original point of my questions was in the differences in brands of pellets. I checked B & B's website, and just did again, and saw no mention of anything other than 100% premium hardwood. It doesn't tell of a mix, or percentage (maybe it does on the bag). And this is why I posted the question - because the websites don't tell you. Which is why I rely on my smoking brethren to help me out.

No reason for anyone to get upset.

The point is, don't let anyone tell you that you have to have "brand x" for vendor "so and so".

if you want 100% flavor wood, by all means, get it.

Absolutely does not mean you can't get an equal or superior product for less money than "brand x" by vendor "so and so".

you drop a few bucks on a bag of pellets you don't care for, you learned a lesson.

Who is to say you'd like the 100% flavor wood offered by a forum sponsor?

you won't know until you try.

B&B use to list the percentages on their website...they have removed it for some reason.

I can get silly Drunk on Banker's Club Gin...But...I'd really prefer to treat myself to Tangueray. After all I'm worth it.
Mixed pellets make good smoked Meat. But Todd's 100% Flavor Wood pellets have always made Great Smoked Meat.
I don't mess with a good thing to save a buck. I'm not rich but it's Hellman's Mayo, Heinz Ketchup and Todd's Pellets...JJ

Reactions: daveomak
How many people can really tell the difference between 100% flavor wood and a mix?
Could they prove it if they claim they could?
OK , you asked . This comment is just the truth for me . First bag of pellets I bought from Cabelas , hickory . Then bought a bag of Treager Oak . I noticed a better burn / smoke with the Oak .
Recently ordered some stuff from Owens BBQ . Got some pellets for the heck of it . 1lb. bags .
I could tell the difference just by looking at them in the bag . First smoke with the Owens ,,, was so much better than the other pellets I had been using . Burned clean and had a great smell . Nothing but white ash left in the tube .
I suspect Owens gets his pellets from Todd , but I don't know that to be fact . Did a ham with maple and mesquite . Fantastic , flavor , color and the smell ,,,,

I can get silly Drunk on Banker's Club Gin...But...I'd really prefer to treat myself to Tangueray. After all I'm worth it.
Mixed pellets make good smoked Meat. But Todd's 100% Flavor Wood pellets have always made Great Smoked Meat.
I don't mess with a good thing to save a buck. I'm not rich but it's Hellman's Mayo, Heinz Ketchup and Todd's Pellets...JJ

I'll agree with the Heinz Ketchup and Hellman's Mayo, but prefer Bombay Sapphire over Tanqueray...

Which one of us is right?

I know some people who prefer Hunts Ketchup over Heinz....

Try a selection, make up your own mind as opposed to automatically going one route because others say so.

Guy's. You can buy Pellets from any source you wish. It's human nature to promote what they have or own. Ever see a Chevy Guy recommend a F150? Don't mean either guy owns THE ONLY TRUCK WORTH A DAMN! Just ask a Dodge Ram owner...JJ

Guy's. You can buy Pellets from any source you wish. It's human nature to promote what they have or own. Ever see a Chevy Guy recommend a F150? Don't mean either guy owns THE ONLY TRUCK WORTH A DAMN! Just ask a Dodge Ram owner...JJ

Yes, but my .35 Remington is a better deer rifle than your...…...

That's very true, most folks can't tell the difference. However, some types of wood produce more smoke flavor than others. So while you may not be able to distinguish the species of the wood used, you might be able to tell by how smokey the food is. When using trays and tubes, that really doesn't matter much since you get easily get as much or as little smoke as you want. In a pellet grill (not really the subject of this thread) , which sometimes struggle to get enough smoke flavor, you might want to use 100% flavor wood. I use 100% hickory so I don't need to use supplemental smoke device in my pellet grill. Other varieties (not counting mesquite) just don't add enough smoke flavor. It's also what I use in my tray and tubes, cause I got a lot of it around.

My Henry All-Weather 45-70?!?! I DON'T THINK SO!!!...JJ
All-weather???

What is that?

My 45 year old Marlin is tough.....
Never needed an umbrella, rain coat, parka... and does just fine.
Just messing with you.
Everyone has an opinion on what is better or best, but it is something you decide for yourself, not because someone told you so....
in the case of the rifles, whatever puts the meat on the table for you.
Speaking of hunting, my venison from the past season is already gone, regret I didn't even try to fill my doe tags.

The Henry is hard chromed in and out and a water proof coated hardwood stock. A total worry free rifle. I had a very pretty and ornate Weatherby. I was totally paranoid in rain or heavy brush that it would get scratched or rust. The Freezer is just about empty here too...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky