Al Pastor Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

markh024

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 8, 2016
Chicagoland
Decided to do up some Al Pastor tacos for the big game. I used a modified version of chilerelleno chilerelleno recipe for the marinade. I marinaded for about 30 hours mainly just because of my schedule . My modifications were that I used Guajilla Paste (Frontera/RIck Bayless brand) in substitute for Guajilla powder and the Achiote. THose were hard to find so i figured paste was the next best thing. If you want the full marinade search under Chile's profile, it's there some where.

I used a 4.5lb bone in pork loin roast for mine as well. I wanted it to be leaner, less fat than using a shoulder or butt. It came out beautifully and this is definitely going on a permanent taco cycle for me. Smoke it high heat with a smoke tube. 350-370* for about 2.25 hrs. Took it to about 152 temp and got a great char without drying it to a bone. Topped mine with Pico, Cilantro, some more fresh onion and Herdez Habanero Street Taco sauce.
AP1.JPG
Ap2.JPG
Ap3.JPG
Thank for looking!

LIKE. Just had my first al pastor dish and plan to try this but still formulating the how to. Not entirely sure you need the achiote either. I think mainly a coloring like paprika.

Thanks. Yes the recipe had Paprika in it as well, so i just used that. Definitely give this a try, it is well worth it. I actually had to lower tower, which is why you see some meat down in the CI pan. Also if I do thsi again, I'm going to foil my CI pan as it did leave a big crusted mess. I got it cleaned off, but required more work than i wanted to be doing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky