4 probe thermometer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking a fatty

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 20, 2024
Hello smokers
I have a head scratcher for you
I bought this

IMG_0499.jpeg IMG_0498.jpeg

My question. Read the directions, I see no reason this can not have a probe in the meat and a probe at the chimney exhaust location

The only thing I see is that it looks like you have 4 food probes. Ambient air probes usually look different. And they'll have some sort of holder/clamp to keep them suspended in air rather than touching any grates or stacks.

Do they operate differently? I have no idea. I just know I use my air probe for air and my meat probes for meat.

Reactions: JLeonard
The only thing I see is that it looks like you have 4 food probes. Ambient air probes usually look different. And they'll have some sort of holder/clamp to keep them suspended in air rather than touching any grates or stacks.

Do they operate differently? I have no idea. I just know I use my air probe for air and my meat probes for meat.
No, they operate the same. They are usually shorter and sometimes stubbier to reduce the amount of space they take when using them attached to the grill grate. Just make sure the probe tip isn't touching anything metal is all.

No, they operate the same. They are usually shorter and sometimes stubbier to reduce the amount of space they take when using them attached to the grill grate. Just make sure the probe tip isn't touching anything metal is all.
The cooking chamber was a wood top
Which I drilled a hole into approx 10" in front of the chimney The probe sits in that hole touching nothing but air
Thanks. 👍

I live on the wild side and use stuff for what I want not for what the establishments says I want
Because they just want me to fall inline and buy whatever they tell me to buy
After 2 or 3 shots of Larceny. I started wondering "how does a probe know it is a meat probe? It simply senses the temp on its little probe shaft". There is a "smart" probe I own that knows if it is inside a soft wet warm hole, but that probe can be damaged by direct contact with a flame

I have this same set. So probes work for whatever you want to track, air or meat.

But the connections and wires are not water resistant. If they get wet, they will read way off.
20 to 70 F IMO.
Keep them dry.

Reactions: smoking a fatty
I have this same set. So probes work for whatever you want to track, air or meat.

But the connections and wires are not water resistant. If they get wet, they will read way off.
20 to 70 F IMO.
Keep them dry.
Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. I will steal a plastic tub from the wife to keep em dry!😉

Reactions: JLeonard
When I started smoking meats I used a meat probe to monitor internal smoker temps because I didn't know the difference between what probes serve what functions. Never had a problem. Just be sure to test the probes for accuracy (cold/hot water test) and calibrate if needed for accurate readings. Happy smokes! :emoji_sunglasses:
- Laurel

Reactions: smoking a fatty
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky