2 hours into my first offset smoker use!!! So far......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Stopsign32v

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 11, 2023
Well I'm doing a 10lb Boston butt. I got some Hickory wood to use and I'm using a $100 Amazon special COS. This is labor intensive!!!!

So far so good though. I don't have a digital probe to watch my rack temp (Would have been very nice!) but I did get an oven thermometer and noticed @ 500F my rack is 350F and at 300F my rack is 225F. So I'm trying to bounce between 300-400F on the lid thermometer. It is challenging because 1 small piece of wood will send it from 300F to 400-450F but when that little piece of wood is done it will fall fast.

Stay tuned if you want to...I'll also upload some pics.

Rubbed it with mustard and Jeff's seasoning mix.

meat.jpg

Last edited:
Coal bed is what you are trying to maintain. The added splits are to add to an existing bed of coals. I usually start with a full chimney of briquettes fully lit then maintain that bed.

Reactions: JLinza and mike243
Coal bed is what you are trying to maintain. The added splits are to add to an existing bed of coals. I usually start with a full chimney of briquettes fully lit then maintain that bed.

I've added about 2 hand fulls worth of white hot coals from the chimney.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Guys we are scooting right along at 250-300F at the rack. It's gotten very easy to maintain the temps with only wood splits at this point. However it is eating a lot of wood.

Anyways when do I wrap this thing!? Anyone?

Reactions: JLeonard
Guys we are scooting right along at 250-300F at the rack. It's gotten very easy to maintain the temps with only wood splits at this point. However it is eating a lot of wood.

Anyways when do I wrap this thing!? Anyone?
Little late on this.....But I usually let it go until it stalls...Maybe give it an hour in the stall then wrap til close to 200 degrees.
How did it turn out for you? And now that you have had a long cook on it you should have an idea of what needs to be sealed and etc.

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky