1st time trying vegetarian burger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 16, 2007
I am cooking for a group on the 4th that is vegetarian. Doing vegetarian burgers. Problem is I never ate one before and wasn’t sure how they’d cook up as I never seen one cooked either. We grow beef lol.

I was at restaurant depot the other day looking for the Beyond burgers but they were all expired. I was at Costco today and found impossible burgers.
70830586661__AA3A2146-CF47-4E33-AE3A-98CA4E19E51D.jpeg

So in the cart they went.
Big Jake’s brake pads started knocking when the package got near so the weber stepped up.
IMG_3487.jpeg

Pic at the 8 min flip
IMG_3488.jpeg

Pic when done in 16 min
IMG_3489.jpeg

Sliced up an onion, Avacado, and dill pickles,
Lettuc, spread some fancy mustard and mayo on potato buns and added a couple
Slices of cheese
IMG_3491.jpeg
IMG_3493.jpeg

I’m not gonna lie. I’m not gonna sell my beef and make a switch. But these were pretty good. So if you got vegetarian friends and don’t know what to cook. These are pretty simple and decent to eat.

Kinda makes me wanna taste a fake burger. LoL I just cain't though.
I have made cauliflower steaks and jackfruit pork. Better like it spicy and hot. LoL

• Haha
Reactions: flatbroke
I grilled a couple for my daughter over Memorial Day weekend. Not clue what I was doing and they went over direct coals on the Jumbo Joe.
Wife doesn't like red in her beef and asked daughter if she wanted them cooked to no red.
That was a tongue in cheek sarcasm from my wife.
IBD, they add beet juice to the fake burgers to simulate the red out from real meat.
Daughter said they were good.

I've been tempted to try one just to say I did. But I am a meat eater first and foremost.

Jim

Maybe 30 yrs ago, I had to go to California for work and ended up at a veggie fast food shop because it was convenient and time was short. I ordered a veggie burger and was actually pretty good. Couldn't tell it wasn't beef. But all in all, I'll pass on more. I'm a tight wad, why would I pay more for fake meat when the real thing is far cheaper. That and when folks start ramming their lifestyles/beleifs down my throat I dig in my heels. That and the processing involved to make it taste like beef can't be much better for you. I'll stick with what I was designed to eat.

Maybe 30 yrs ago, I had to go to California for work and ended up at a veggie fast food shop because it was convenient and time was short. I ordered a veggie burger and was actually pretty good. Couldn't tell it wasn't beef. But all in all, I'll pass on more. I'm a tight wad, why would I pay more for fake meat when the real thing is far cheaper. That and when folks start ramming their lifestyles/beleifs down my throat I dig in my heels. That and the processing involved to make it taste like beef can't be much better for you. I'll stick with what I was designed to eat.
I can definitely relate. If I wasn’t doing this upcoming cook I most likely would never have eaten one. As I know what is in my ground beef
IMG_0038.jpeg
IMG_0015.jpeg

I read the label on the packaging of the plant based burgers and I’m not sure what some of the ingredients are. They do taste decent for a fake beef burger. Not dried out, not tough and not cardboard like I thought they’d be.

Reactions: JC in GB
I'm a tight wad, why would I pay more for fake meat when the real thing is far cheaper. That and when folks start ramming their lifestyles/beleifs down my throat I dig in my heels.
+1. If and when they figure out how to make it 1/2 price of beef (which I doubt EVER happens) I'd be all over it. Impossible Whoppers are seriously good. Great meatless option for me during Lent! LOL. My wife is all about them, thinking they're so much healthier but in reality they're like only 40 calories less... It is BAFFLING to me that we are creating meatless stuff to taste like meat. Makes my brain hurt thinking about it.

+1. If and when they figure out how to make it 1/2 price of beef (which I doubt EVER happens) I'd be all over it. Impossible Whoppers are seriously good. Great meatless option for me during Lent! LOL. My wife is all about them, thinking they're so much healthier but in reality they're like only 40 calories less... It is BAFFLING to me that we are creating meatless stuff to taste like meat. Makes my brain hurt thinking about it.
I did not know that Fast food places carried them too. I was surprised to see that all the cases of Beyond Burger patties at restaurant Depot were past the expiration date the other day considering It was in San Jose CA where a lot of tofu, broccoli eating peeps reside.

Reactions: zwiller
At the beginning of covid, my store got wiped out on almost everything, seriously. Not enough product to create a single row one deep on the shelves. EXCEPT for the Veggie substitute foods. They were jammed packed. That should have sent a message to the powers that be. Nope they keep bringing it in, marking it down and throwing it away. SMH.

• Haha
Reactions: flatbroke
First off, thank you for posting this...seriously. I also very much appreciate your honesty and candor with the review. This isn't something I'll likely ever buy for us but we have several friends that are vegetarians and this could make for an excellent substitute when they come to visit. I assume these come frozen? I'd likely vac seal them in packs of 2, put them in the freezer, and get some out when needed. Ya see....I have a Costco run on the agenda in the next couple of days. I'm almost out of Margaritas...God forbid!! :emoji_laughing:

Robert

First off, thank you for posting this...seriously. I also very much appreciate your honesty and candor with the review. This isn't something I'll likely ever buy for us but we have several friends that are vegetarians and this could make for an excellent substitute when they come to visit. I assume these come frozen? I'd likely vac seal them in packs of 2, put them in the freezer, and get some out when needed. Ya see....I have a Costco run on the agenda in the next couple of days. I'm almost out of Margaritas...God forbid!! :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Thanks. They do come frozen and separate easily from package if you wanted to break down further. I added them to the grill frozen. 8 min per side.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky