You Knew It Was Coming.... Reverse Flow "Mini" WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
OK... So I got a brain storm for a "Mini WSM RF"

I have a question or twenty (lol)...

Wondering what size exhaust vent I should use ? I'm thinking I put it down at the bottom of the pot just above the indented ring

Pointing to the spot in question

And should I put an elbow on it with a stack to get it above the top of the smoker ?

That's it for this go around... waiting for all responses and opinions...

I guess I'm not understanding your thinking but that looks like it will let all the heat and smoke out before it can get to the food.

I guess I'm not understanding your thinking but that looks like it will let all the heat and smoke out before it can get to the food.

No.. I have a way of getting the heat to the top first and then letting it settle down over the food and out the vent... I forgot to mention that in the OP... sorry...

Also.. I'm asking questions first before I cut a hole in the side of the pot and ruin it... as I had to go to TN to get it ( I was on vacation and the walmart had it there... I can't find it around home)

Last edited:
Call me skeptical, but I'll play along, I'd guess about a 2-3 inch exhaust, you'd have to play with the length to get it to draw right though.

Keith, morning....  I think it will even out the temps from top to bottom racks.... Is that what you are thinking ????   

We need pics.......  Dave

OK... so the guts of this thing would be something like this....

So if you look at this thread, post # 15 http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...ini-wsm-40-temp-difference-need-your-thoughts you will see pictures of my version of the reg. Mini... See the 1/4" plate that is 10 1/2 " in diameter that sits on the grate in the bottom of the pot ? I will be removing both the grate and the round plate and replace it with a round plate that is 12 1/2" diameter... It will sit directly on the lip of the pot and block all heat from entering the pot from the bottom... I am going to cut a hole in the plate on one side and insert a 2 or 3 inch (?) pipe in the hole and weld it to the plate... The pipe will come up to the top of the smoker just under the lid.... I will make some grates that have a notch in it to go around the pipe ... The skillet will still fit done in with the pipe that I sat in for pictures and demos... The unit will still go ether way (Bisexual) by just changing out the round plate in the bottom...

I am really worried about cutting a hole in the side of the pot and then the thing not work as I had a hard time locating the 32qt pot...

A couple of pics trying explain what I'm thinking...

PS. NOOOOO I am not going to use that exact pipe as it was electrical conduit piping that has a plastic coating on the outside of it...

I don't believe the build calculator does RF calculations as to what size my pipes need to be or how tall my exhaust stack needs to be, does it ? Let me know what y'all think ? If somebody steals my idea and builds it, please at least let me know how it works so I can build it as well... That includes you lurkers...

This is why I was wondering about the exhaust stack coming out at the bottom of the pot on the opposite side of the RF pipe

Last edited:
See the 1/4" plate that is 10 1/2 " in diameter that sits on the grate in the bottom of the pot ? I will be removing both the grate and the round plate and replace it with a round plate that is 12 1/2" diameter... It will sit directly on the lip of the pot and block all heat from entering the pot from the bottom...
Can you even do a reverse flow design when the heat source is directly below the smoking chamber?  The bottom of the 12 1/2" plate you intend to add is still going to heat up.  Am I missing the science on how this is supposed to work?

With such a small space, is there such a temp difference that this is even necessary?  Seems like a lot of engineering for such a small unit, IMO.  

I'm confused too, since heat rises I don't see how it's going to go back down to exit through the stack without excessive heat build up in the chamber.

As much as I have read about how good the Mini works I don't see trying to make it better, but I do applaud your wanting to try!!! I love modding things just to see what results I can get so I say go for it and keep us posted on all your results even if they don't turn out good but I wish you the best!!!

Interesting...There are a few Stove Top Quick Cookers that are similar. Heat is conducted into the pot from the base and hot air travel up a central tube and is exhausted into the top of the cooker just under the lid, heating food from top and bottom. There is no exit/exhaust because no smoke being generated and heat containment is the goal. Your theory sounds reasonable but will there even be sufficient incoming Air to create circulation once the chimney starts drafting heated air and smoke out?...JJ

OK... So I got a brain storm for a "Mini WSM RF"

I have a question or twenty (lol)...

Wondering what size exhaust vent I should use ? I'm thinking I put it down at the bottom of the pot just above the indented ring

Pointing to the spot in question

And should I put an elbow on it with a stack to get it above the top of the smoker ?

That's it for this go around... waiting for all responses and opinions...
Keith, evening..... I would use a stack that was equal to the area of the inlet air holes.....I think they are 1" holes and there are 4 of them, I would use a 2" stack..... and I would run it 24" above the top of the dome for starters.....  Try 2" gutter drain pipe with a 90..... Galvy won't hurt on the outside of the smoke chamber.......  For the inside tube, try 2" exhaust pipe.... It is usually "galvalume" coated so you might have to burn it....  Dave

ok then... those 2 reply's were encouraging.. thanks guys...

JJ, That is my thoughts that the 1/4" plate and the skillet will heat up and provide radiant heat... Also if i went with the SJ Gold, the intake vent is on the side. Put the inside "stack" on the opposite side so that it will drag air across the coals as it comes in and up the stack.. That stack will go up to the top, just under the cover... The exhaust stack out the side of the pot will be right above the intake vent... (sure wish I was "putor literate" so I could draw up plans)....

any info on those types of stoves JJ ?

Last edited:
I like it.

You going to do it?

I just dont have all the tools to do what you do.

I'm really thinking about it Rick... I mean it's the same thing as a Vertical RF cabinet style... just a different shape... My thoughts right now are how to connect that big (2-3") of a pipe to the pot...

Hey Keith, I like it. It sure wont take much of a fire to maintain it, and it will absolutely work just like the reverse flow cabinet style.

But I must say, it's hard for me to get my mind around that small of a cooker. For me, it needs to hold at least a half a pig.
banana_smiley.gif

For the stack, just go to a local welding shop and get them to use 2" aluminum tubing, notch it and make a 90 degree elbow and weld it into the side of the pot. Wont cost much, or if your coming thru Lake City bring it, I'll have the boys in the shop do it and it wont cost you anything.

Either way, I want to see it working at the gathering in November.

Anytime your looking for cooking or cooker building items go online with Agri Supply, they have most anything you need. They have a store just off I75 in South Georgia.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky