Yellow Birch ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 19, 2008
Near salt city NY
Got a couple standing dead yellow birch trees at camp 6"-18" at the base.
Thinking I can use them for the c/g for heat with the lump charcoal. A neighbor said you won't get much smoke 'cause they are dead , better off cutting a live one and just letting it season a little.
Anyone try yeller birch ? Burns good in the woodstove ,but how about the side fire box ?

Dang , I was hoping for a comment on using standing dead birch trees for smoking and all I get is a gol-dang spammer
icon_evil.gif

Thanks TH
So as long as they are not rotten , I should be able to use them for heat and a little flavor it sounds like.
I want to try using some wood for heat along with the lump coal. Next time I go up to camp to feed the black flies , I'll grab some and give it a go. I was just worried because they are standing dead , not cut live and seasoned.

Dry is dry, they just seasoned standin up. Should work fine, I see birch is on the list a smoken woods. I'd try it, maybe make up a fatty and smoke it over the birch. Let us know how it comes out, like ta try it myself, few birch trees round here from time ta time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky