WSMx2 & Crazy Story

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

njsmoker83

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Morris County, New Jersey
Hey guys, been super busy with work and haven't had too much time to be on.  If you guys remember I bought a Brinkmann Trailmaster and did some mods to it.  Well unfortunately i should have listened to most of you and saved myself some time.

I fired up the Trailmaster today and it was horrible.  Tons of leaks.  No temp control at all and just a huge disappointment.  I returned it to Home Depot (thank God it was under the 90 day limit) and just ordered another WSM.  This time i got the 22.5 (I already have the 18).

The only problem I had with the 18 was the size.  I love everything about it so i figure I can use the 18 for chicken and pork and my new 22.5 for ribs.  No mods, no headaches.

Welcome back from the dark side......    
devil.gif

I'm still using my old style 18.5", but from what I read, the 22.5" will use a little bit more fuel on a long smoke as you are dealing with a larger volume to keep at temp.  Other than that, the perform very similar.  Hard to beat the good old reliable WSM, no matter which size you have.

Love my 22.5" WSM! I can run over 20 hrs on one load of the ring with very minimal input from me!
biggrin.gif
 But having the smaller 18.5 will be nice when you want to do just one or two things, I usually plan my smokes so that I fill the 22.5" and then vacuum pack stuff for dinners later that week.

Hey guys, been super busy with work and haven't had too much time to be on.  If you guys remember I bought a Brinkmann Trailmaster and did some mods to it.  Well unfortunately i should have listened to most of you and saved myself some time.

I fired up the Trailmaster today and it was horrible.  Tons of leaks.  No temp control at all and just a huge disappointment.  I returned it to Home Depot (thank God it was under the 90 day limit) and just ordered another WSM.  This time i got the 22.5 (I already have the 18).

The only problem I had with the 18 was the size.  I love everything about it so i figure I can use the 18 for chicken and pork and my new 22.5 for ribs.  No mods, no headaches.
I have the 18 WSM and did 18 (yes that's not a typo) slabs of SL ribs last week and it was perfect. 

IMHO you can't go wrong with the WSM.  I went with the 22.5" specifically for the full packer overnight smoke.  I've NEVER been disappointed in the results with ribs, chicken, pork butt, or brisket.

I have the 18 WSM and did 18 (yes that's not a typo) slabs of SL ribs last week and it was perfect. 

WOW now that's a bunch of ribs. I have the 18" as well and have not come close to that many even with my mods. I'd be interested in hearing how you did it. 

WOW now that's a bunch of ribs. I have the 18" as well and have not come close to that many even with my mods. I'd be interested in hearing how you did it. 
Read my post just before yours.  I decided to get the regular 18 instead of the 22 and just get the pro q stacker which is essentially another full chamber with grate for the 18".  So basically I have 3 grill surfaces to cook on.  Pick up 3 of the weber rib racks that hold 6 ribs each and you too can cook 18 slabs of ribs at once. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky