WSM with no thermometer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

new2bbq

Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Hello,

Picked up an old wsm someone left out for free. Just needed to replace the grills. Never used one of these a day in my life, but now doing research on it and seems like something i really want to get into. Anyway, the grill is an old one from I wanna say 2004, on the vent its labeled DH. It has no thermometer on the cover, I know you can install one yourself. But was wondering if I can use my infrared thermometer and just point it at the cover would it be close to accurate. Or is it better to just invest in either a probe or install one on the cover. Thanks! 

Interesting question. I'll be firing up my WSM later today.  I have a very accurate, aftermarket lid thermometer made by River Country.  I'll fire the infrared at the dome and see how the reading compares to the lid thermometer.   

Hmmm... Dunno for sure. But the air temps inside are going to swing more than the metal surface temps are going to show. Wouldn't you rather know what that is?

My advise is- Forget the mechanical grill thermometer and get a good digital remote (at least dual) probe thermometer. Put the probes through a silicone grommet through the side (not the lid). One for the pit temp (clipped to the grate) and one for the meat.

Thanks for the info! Yes, I might as well get a more accurate thermo if I'm gnna be smoking more often.
Thanks noboundaries, can't wait to find out how the two compares amd see differences in degrees. Btw, it's a 18"

That's a nice score!

That smoker will still be putting out good Q years from now, so I would just get a good dual probe therm.

Al

i end up installing a 2.5" to the dome. I compared also with the gun and yes it does average 90-100 degrees lower on laser, Whats weird I shot the laser into the open vent and it went down even more to like 190? maybe was hitting the foil idk lol.

the lid thermometer is useless anyway.  I stick a probe through the rubber grommet and measure temperature from that location with great results.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky