Wsm mold issue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hqly2001

Original poster
Jul 17, 2020
I have a wsm and during the winter after i smoke meat, i let it air out then close vents and cover whole thing.. never fails to be molded when i want to use it again after the rain. Anyone know how to prevent mold?
Also, i often have trouble getting temperatures up in my wsm. I use minion method. With all vents open at start.. my coals seems to die rather then burn hotter.. used 3/4 chimmney and reduced to 1/4 and even tried full chimney.. seems like i can never get it hot even in the 275-300 range.. hoover around 200.. had no issues the first couple of years but last few years, its been harder. Ive used new bag of charcoals and it still didnt help. Anyone else have similar issues?

The lip of the lid on the WSM sits inside the barrel, so it allows rain water to drip into the barrel and collect in the bottom. Result? Mold.

The cover that came with the WSM is not waterproof. I threw mine away after treating it several times and still had an issue. I bought a cheap waterproof tarp and secured it with long bungees. It solved my mold problem, except when I failed to cover it when it rained.

Your temp issues are usually tied to charcoal used, vent settings, wet smoking, and in your case, possibly wet ash.

Reactions: TNJAKE
The lip of the lid on the WSM sits inside the barrel, so it allows rain water to drip into the barrel and collect in the bottom. Result? Mold.

The cover that came with the WSM is not waterproof. I threw mine away after treating it several times and still had an issue. I bought a cheap waterproof tarp and secured it with long bungees. It solved my mold problem, except when I failed to cover it when it rained.

Your temp issues are usually tied to charcoal used, vent settings, wet smoking, and in your case, possibly wet ash.
Thanks. I didn’t realize my cover was not waterproof. Will get new cover. I’ve always used kingsford or lump coal and have had issues with both. It’s happened even after a thorough cleaning of the smoker and used new bag or charcoal. Will see if i can figure the issue.

I got a tarp that was too big, like 9x11 feet. A 7x9 feet tarp would be large enough. Less than $10.

Now, the temp issues. Don't use water in the water pan. It's a huge heat sink. Try a dry smoke run. Top vent full open, all bottom vents 1/4" open and see what temps you get.

The current lightweight Kingsford formula is designed to burn rather quickly. Lump should run hot, so that's interesting that your temps were low. Any briquette by Royal Oak, including Embers and Expert Grill, is 25% more dense than Kingsford. B&B is good, too.

I get mold in mine too when I let it sit too long, even though I have it covered with a garbage bag & a very expensive after market cover. However I don’t use it very much so I guess with the Florida humidity the mold just grows in there. To get it clean I just start a whole charcoal chimney & pour it in the bottom with a couple of wood splits on top. All vents wide open & it usually gets up above 350 for a couple of hours. That clean out all the mold & I’m ready to cook. I’ve even had it get to almost 400 degrees.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky