Wrapping a pork butt with butcher paper???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice looking brisket. I believe it was this thread that I saw, that made me go out and by a roll of pink butcher paper just to give it a try and find out for myself.......I know, I know, I used to hear "If your friends jumped off a bridge, would you jump off too???" I will post results when I try it out.
I bought a large of peach (I think it's peach) butcher paper a couple of years ago but rarely use it.

Your pastrami looks great. I'll be making my first try at it this year. I've read up a bit on it. But why smoke it, steam it, and then stick it in the oven? What do those two additional steps do for the finished product?
Mine was this seasoning recipe.
https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/pastrami-spice-blend-3416402

Cates it with mustard then seasoning. Rested in plastic wrap a few hours then smoked as normal. Wrapped at 165 finished to 190 and steamed to probe tender the next day.

Attachments

• IMG_20180516_135115.png
    IMG_20180516_135115.png
    844.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20180516_135201.png
    IMG_20180516_135201.png
    719.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20180516_135137.png
    IMG_20180516_135137.png
    844.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20180516_135031.png
    IMG_20180516_135031.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
Mine was this seasoning recipe.
https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/pastrami-spice-blend-3416402

Cates it with mustard then seasoning. Rested in plastic wrap a few hours then smoked as normal. Wrapped at 165 finished to 190 and steamed to probe tender the next day.
Did you rinse off the old brine first before applying the dry rub?

I'm going to copy/paste the dry rub recipe. I've got two other pastrami recipes that I've saved. My main goal is to replicate the Katz Deli (Brooklyn) pastrami from a close copycat recipe I found.

Yeah that one in the AmazingRib site is good. I wanted to use the seeds and toast them and put them in my grinder. It's about the same ingredients.
I used corned beef I bought on sale at St. Patrick's Day time. I soaked them for about 2 hours before I put the rub on.

Yeah that one in the AmazingRib site is good. I wanted to use the seeds and toast them and put them in my grinder. It's about the same ingredients.
I used corned beef I bought on sale at St. Patrick's Day time. I soaked them for about 2 hours before I put the rub on.
I bought the same type of brisket at the same exact time. Yes, I've seen that AR recipe. It's one of the ones I've saved.

Yum! Is that rye bread and is there Russian dressing inside? In a couple of weeks or so when I try my hand at pastrami, I'll serve it on Russian rye (I prefer it to Jewish rye) with the aforementioned Russian dressing. I do possess Russian heritage so this entire dish is firmly lodged in my DNA. And yes, as in your photo, there must be Kosher dill pickles on the side.

Ha.. I had thousand island and well drained sour kraut with Swiss.. the bread is an onion rye bread. Smelled great so I tried some. Good stuff.
Will try this next using eye of round and see what happens.

Attachments

• 1527112707294391397074.jpg
    1527112707294391397074.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: daricksta
Eye of round? Sacrilege! Infidel! But thanks for reminding me about the sauerkraut and Swiss cheese. What was I not thinking? And yes, 1000 Island will do very nicely. I can imagine how good that onion rye tasted. And I just found out I confused the two types of rye breads I mentioned. I grew up with Jewish Rye--lighter in color than Russian and with the caraway seeds. I have a right to be confused because I'm Jewish with Russian (among other) ancestry.

Reactions: Rings Я Us
Yum! Is that rye bread and is there Russian dressing inside? In a couple of weeks or so when I try my hand at pastrami, I'll serve it on Russian rye (I prefer it to Jewish rye) with the aforementioned Russian dressing. I do possess Russian heritage so this entire dish is firmly lodged in my DNA. And yes, as in your photo, there must be Kosher dill pickles on the side.

I like the seeds also.. I use them sometimes to enhance a recipe . I have a half full bottle of caraway seed on hand.

Reactions: daricksta
Yep, we have a bottle of caraway seeds in our pantry, too. We've made a point of amassing just about everything we might ever need to cook anything we choose. :)

hey folks!

Looking for some opinions, know that you have them so let me hear ‘em!

I have cooked numerous pork butts and I’m very happy with the end product. Have wrapped in foil, no wrap and sat butt in aluminum pan.
I recently got a 1000ft roll of butcher paper from sams and did 3 briskets with it. Came out great!
I am wondering if anyone has wrapped a pork butt in butcher paper before and what the pro’s and con’s might be.
Cooking it for Easter weekend so just curious.
Is there too much juice vs a brisket?
Let me know what you think and thanks for the insight!
I came here for that very answer. I’m using a pit boss pellet smoker & am at the 160 deg stall now. I have spritzed with the apple cider vinegar every couple hours. So no to the wrap with the butcher paper & wait it out?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky